The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a "Newbie" here but really enjoying the information on this forum. We could use some help. My daughter's tank is a 55 gallon planted tank that we set up over a month ago. I am trying to teach her how to work with a budget. We bought the tank used and it came with everything except a heater. However, the lighting is not great. It is a pair of the standard hood lights. The plastic that is on the covers is cloudy and we have done the vinegar/water cleanings and can't get all of the minerals off. Also the bulbs are not overly bright. Currently we have various plants along with Red Cherry Shrimp, Oto Cats and Neon Tetra's. We would like to add more Shrimp and other varieties of fish but first want to get the lighting down so our plants are healthy and grow.

Will we need to buy 2 new covers or is there some other way to clean the clear plastic covers and get rid of the mineral-like deposits?

If we have to buy new covers would she be better off just buying an LED light because we are also going to need to buy new bulbs as these are over a yr old. I figure 2 new bulbs and 2 covers is going to cost at least $70. What are some good inexpensive LED lights? Also we are not afraid of buying used either. She is big into recycling plus buying used is a great way for her to stretch her budget.

We would love to add a LED light but not sure about the prices for them. She has seen the programmable ones and really likes how they imitate the sunrise and sunset plus change over time.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
throw the budget out.. ;)
Part of me agrees with that but also as a parent I am also trying to teach her about financial responsibility and decision making. WE can't always have everything we want right now, sometimes we need to wait a little. The lights we have will work for now, but they are not the best.

How much do you think it would cost for a decent LED Lights for a 55 gallon tank? I know nothing about the LED lights. If we did go with LED lights then I would probably need to buy a glass cover also to limit evaporation plus the noise from the HOB Filter.

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Part of me agrees with that but also as a parent I am also trying to teach her about financial responsibility and decision making. WE can't always have everything we want right now, sometimes we need to wait a little. The lights we have will work for now, but they are not the best.

How much do you think it would cost for a decent LED Lights for a 55 gallon tank? I know nothing about the LED lights. If we did go with LED lights then I would probably need to buy a glass cover also to limit evaporation plus the noise from the HOB Filter.
Make sure you go w/ the "twin tube" if you go pre-made. The other variety doesn't fit many 55's

As to "programmable"
lighting:
Amazon.com : Current USA 48"-60" Satellite Plus PRO LED Light : Pet Supplies

More restrictive:
Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make sure you go w/ the "twin tube" if you go pre-made. The other variety doesn't fit many 55's

As to "programmable"
lighting:
Amazon.com : Current USA 48"-60" Satellite Plus PRO LED Light : Pet Supplies

More restrictive:
Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus
Are you familiar with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller? It is programmable and has the sunrise/sunset features. Can program it once and let it run everyday. I found it on Amazon for $152. Seems like the reviews were positive. One of my concerns is finding a light that will be bright enough to hit the plants on the bottom. Man there are so many options on all these lights. I feel lost looking at these and not knowing what the features mean and which features we need.

Amazon.com : Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller, 48 Inch : Pet Supplies

·
Registered
13,082 Posts
Are you familiar with the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller? It is programmable and has the sunrise/sunset features. Can program it once and let it run everyday. I found it on Amazon for $152. Seems like the reviews were positive. One of my concerns is finding a light that will be bright enough to hit the plants on the bottom. Man there are so many options on all these lights. I feel lost looking at these and not knowing what the features mean and which features we need.

Amazon.com : Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller, 48 Inch : Pet Supplies
Yea, not the "which tube" era anymore..
anyways a few things:
planted plus pro has full ramp up/down channel adj/limit capability..
planted plus has on/off and channel programming but no ramp up/down.
24/7 has one ramp up/down program. Nonadjustable.
Does have adjustments but you lose the ramp up/down timer part

All have their pluses and minuses. the plus pro's only real minus is $$$'s
along w/ the Fluval ver. 2 and controller..

How are you on little projects??

some cheap LED ribbons. aluminum gutter or flat stock and a cheap-ish Chinese controller can meet most of the high points.. ;)
About the only real decision is computer programable or android..

Teaching how to build stuff is also a good lesson... ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm in the process of building a hood because of cost restraints. It will house 4 6500k CFL's putting out 1600 lumens each. Haven't fully made up my mind yet as I am still thinking of the 18,000k 24 inch strip along with 2 of the 1600 lumen CFL, I like light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran my 55 for quite a long time with a $10 48" dual T8 shop light over glass lids, one standard daylight bulb and one planted tank bulb from the local Petsmart. It's definitely a viable option if your daughter's budget can't extend to an LED fixture without some time to build up savings!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.