The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

Were going to be setting up a standerd 29 gallon tank over the next couple of weeks. We ordered our substrate today. (2 bags of flourite black sand) We also ordered some excell and flourish to dose the tank with.

I need help with lighting there's some many options I feel a little overwelmed.:help: I'm planning on a lower light/lower maintance tank. Right now we only have the stock hood and lighting. It came with one 18watt T8 bulb. We are on a budget and don't have much to spend, but want something that will look nice and work for the plants.

Were going to move the plants we have in out 10 gallon over to the 29gallon;
~Cryptocoryne becketti
~Blyxa Japonica
~Sagittaria Subulata
~Ludwigia Arcuata
~Echinodorus quadricostatus
~Java Fern
~Needle Leaf Java Fern
~Echinodorus Bleheri Amazon Sword Plant
~Sea-Life Aponogeton Bulbs (wal-mart bulbs)

Please let me know you thoughts, suggestions, ideas, ect. or if you have a 29 gallon please tell me what your using. :wink:

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:icon_mrgrThanks guys!! I'm gonna go check them out!! Do you all think T5's or T8's are better? Sorry for all the Q's, I'm still a noob, lol. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple months now but I still feel so overwelmed about lighting!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
The Nova Extreme comes in two versions ... freshwater and saltwater. Here is the 30" freshwater version: http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCa...ef-USD-18360##0##h&query=nova&hits=12&offset=

If it was my aquarium, I might choose the Freshwater Nova Extreme, but you may need to dose Excel as you are planning or even supplementing CO2. Current's fixtures are designed better than Coralife's IMO.

Please keep in mind that the Nova fixture uses 24" 24w T5HO bulbs and the Coralife fixture uses 30" 18w T5NO bulbs. The Coralife fixture might give you better coverage across the whole length of the aquarium, but not as intense lighting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok awsome!! I don't know what I would do without you all. :icon_smil So my next question is; It's going to be a month or two before we can buy a new light fixture, so if I was to move the plants over would to the 29 gallon do you all think they would do ok under the stock lighting until we are able to upgrade? Or do you all think we should just leave them in the 10 gallon? (10 gallon has 2x14watt daylight compact floresent bulbs in it)

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stems would surely suffer, im not sure they could bounce back. If you have an extra desk lamp or two sitting around get a couple 20w spiral pc's and put them over it with the stock light.

Thanks!! I do have a cople extra desk lamps sitting around somewhere, lol. I'll add them to the tank. I was really hoping to get the plants in there while the tank cycles. That way the plants can get a little more established before we stock it with fish.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
People have reported that they like the Coralife 30" 2x18w T5HO freshwater fixture for growing most of the plants similar to yours. Ludwigia Arcuata might be a problem though. It likes a little more lighting.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsC...5/cl0/coralifefwt5aqualightdoublestriplight30
I went from 1 of these to two, now have three. After buying two, it didn't make sence for me to pay a bunch of money to get a new fixture. I love them.

Coarlife also makes a 65 watt PC light as well as 130. They have marine ones of the same wattage but get the planted obviously so you don't need to buy an extra bulb.

I would probably go with the 65 with coarlife (I am happy with them) for a bit over $90 total unless you want to go higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts