The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just added a good bunch of hornwort in my 60 gallon tank, just having them float. It is the first plant in this tank so my question is what are the requirements to keep this plant alive? I have Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5HO for lighting and keep them on for 6 hours.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Pretty much impossible to kill Hornwort. If the toilet was near a sunny window I think it would grow in there.

It's the best ammonia mop there is great for cycling. It also claimed that it inhibits algae growth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the photoperiod of 6 hours good enough? I actually have a timer on my lights that is setup to 3 hours on, 1 hour off, 3 hours on and off the rest of the day. Also would dosing liquid fert like Seachem Flourish be a good idea?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Is the photoperiod of 6 hours good enough? I actually have a timer on my lights that is setup to 3 hours on, 1 hour off, 3 hours on and off the rest of the day. Also would dosing liquid fert like Seachem Flourish be a good idea?
If you are not adding ferts or adding CO2 in some way, then yes, I'd say a 6 hour photoperiod is sufficient. If you wanted to fertilize, it's also then a good idea to supplament some CO2, and slightly increase the photoperiod (to about 8hrs). Remember, they key to growing the plants you want to grow and not growing the ones that you don't (aka algae), is a balance between light, nutrients, and CO2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts