The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an established 10 gallon tank that I haven't had much success in getting foreground plants to establish in the substrate (ADA Amazonia II). I've tried dwarf baby tears, riccia on stones, and now something like a grass or microsword.

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Organism Natural landscape

The plants won't stay in the substrate and I think the shrimp, pleco, trumpet snails, etc are uprooting them. Any tips? Also I am starting a 30 gallon, is it best to dry start the foreground plants to avoid this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have only ever planted HC and DHG as foreground plants, so my experience may be limited, but I have had the same issues as you. I started what is now a tank full of HC immersed, and boy, was that thing ever tough to keep down.

For helping out your 10 gallon tank, I have had a much easier time with planting DHG than I have with HC. Personally, I just separated it into small clumps and planted slightly deeper than I thought necessary. It is also helpful to plant at an angle. So instead of making the roots look straight up and down | , plant then at a slight angle, like this \.

With HC, I had some luck by simply weighing the individual clumps that I planted. I'd recommend either screws or paperclips. I kept mine in there for about two weeks before I had some rooting sufficient enough to merit their removal. Some patches will take longer to root than others obviously. And while it may not be the prettiest option, I can vouch and say that it does in fact work. You can find guides about dry start all over the forums here.

Good luck!
With regards to your 30 gallon tank, it you have the time, and patience, I would really reccommend tring a dry start. That's the best way to get a strong root system on these foroeground plants like UG and HC that have tiny root structures at first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses! I found out what I had floating around the tank is Dwarf Sagittaria. I talked to someone at the LFS and they recommended the deep planting as well. I was told as long as the tips of the leaves are poking out, it will root and grow out. For the 30, I picked up some Glosso and I am starting it using the dry method. I think have plenty of light - 4x24w HO t5, 2x 6000K & 2x 6700K, so hopefully it will fill in fast. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.