The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read all the beginner stuff about planted tanks on SCAPE or here...but not really ALL. I got tired. I've been reading A LOT about DIY lighting for the Fluval Edge to keep it looking aesthetically clean, but now I'm just exhausted and want to be spoon fed...sorry if that bothers some of you...Anyways, straight to the point, i need help choosing a light for my Fluval Edge. I'm just too confused to go on, I'm 16 and just finished learning a lot about CO2 only to find out that lighting is not measured watts per gallon. I'm just befuddled.

FLUVAL EDGE 6 GALLON

WHAT LIGHT SHOULD I GET FOR THE FLUVAL EDGE [LETS KEEP IT AT A REASONABLE PRICE RANGE (<400) AND AESTHETICALLY CLEAN]
-a bar or strip or something along those lines to lay on the top of the glass outside the hood (hopefully you know the design of the Fluval Edge)
-i was thinking about the 42 led bar thing for inside the hood, but idk the watts or par of it, so maybe there is a much better clamp-on light that will fit inside the edge

I was thinking something Finnex but also thinking about the RGB Ecoxotic Panorama Module. I'm planning to have an HC carpet (the only plant that will be in the tank because it is Iwagumi style) The CO2 will be connected to an Atomic in-line diffuser, thinking about changing the filter to some sort of Zoo Med 501 or Eheim Canister.

Sorry for the long post, I really hope someone spoon feeds me really well here.
Hopefully this is in the right section too.

For those of you thinking, "Woah, this 16 years old is willing to spend up to $400 for a light fixture for a 6 gallon tank, he must be dumb/spoiled/rich/or dumb," and no, I am none of those, I just really like the looks of this tank and I make my own money (stocks/job/chores/stocks)

I would just like to give a thanks ahead of time for those who hopefully post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
here is a link to what a guy did with his edge. one of the nicer planted edge i have seen around. https://sites.google.com/site/aquaristikedge/home-1

unfortunately the edge isn't the best tank for planted tank, the small opening makes it hard to scape nice design as you need to think about how you will need to reach hard to reach places for maintenance. also, standard filtration isn't that great, so you might end up having flow problems.
imo, i would try to make some nice scapes with easy to grow plants, ie ferns, mosses, pellias, etc. especially when you think about trimming and how hard it will be to clear out the floating cuttings as the tank is enclosed.

food for thought.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
Depending you your needs, you could just add a 13-15 watt CFL bulb. That seems the easiest and I have done similar sized tanks with that amount of lighting and it was fine. The other thing is putting LED's but you likely have to DIY that.

Now if you don't mind putting a light on top, you have many options. Some people actually take the top pane of glass off for both better lighting options and better access to the tank. However, if you are willing to spend that amount of money for a light (and you won't be able to get close to that number), and wanted to take the rim off, I would just look into starting an ADA tank anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im saving up a BUNCH of money to get an ADA 120 H, freakin' expensive man!

I just really like the design of the fluval edge and I've seen that guy's site before @trix25 but it's all in another language and the google translate option does not do a good job.

I just bought another fluval edge setup for $60, probably going to make that one rimless and have a betta/rcs tank and a CPD/rcs tank, you guys think that is a good idea?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I took the top pane off and went high tech igwami with my edge and couldn't be happier. The top was really easy to remove, I broke both my wrists so my gf decided to do it for me. 1 razor blade and 30 min later it was topless.

After multiple attempts at lighting including the finnex ray2, i found one at my lfs the "Mr Aqua MA-331" (like 90 bucks) its wider than most so it distributes the light more evenly. It also has a cool hinge feature so you don't have to reposition the light when playing in the tank. Honestly its probably too powerful for the tank depth but my HC is loving it.

The Zoo Med 501 worked but i didn't really trust it and I ended up getting an Eheim 2211.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.