The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you feed your tanks?

We recently went from a 35g planted tank with Rummy nose tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Guppies and Corries to a 180g planted tank. We added many more Rummy nose and Cardinals. We also added two 2.5" angelfish and three 2.5" Pearl Gouramis.

The big fish are CONSTANTLY begging for food and chowing down when ever they are fed. The last time I had Angelfish was 40+ years ago. I do not remember them being this hungry! I am currently feeding a cube of frozen brine shrimp in the morning. A sprinkling of Omega flakes around noon. A cube of frozen blood worms in the early evening. Then another sprinkling of flakes around 8:00pm. NOTHING (no food) EVER hits the gravel! It feels like we are starving the fish but in our old 35g tank we just fed the tetras and guppies flakes once a day via an automatic feeder and frozen brine shrimp on the weekends.

What is an appropriate feeding schedule? Frozen brine shrimp or frozen blood worms in the morning then some flake food in the evening? Or just one feeding a day and alternate between flakes and frozen?

P.S. We are keeping a close eye on water parameters and the tank does a ~30g automatic water change every morning.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
y'know it really depends on how much fish mass you're feeding. If you've got like, 30 fish in a tank, I don't think that a single cube of brine shrimp is going to do it in one feeding. You can do it a few ways:

1) Increase volume at feedings. Try seeing what happens if you increase the volume of omega flakes fedat noon, or feeding two cubes of brine shrimp and blood worms and see if they're still hungry or if they avoid the food.

2) Increase number of feedings. Try doing two feedings of frozen and two feedings of flake a day and see how that goes.

Ultimately it's dependent on how observant you are. Are the fish gaining weight? Losing weight? Maintaining weight but growing larger in size/height? It's basically like putting your fish on a healthy diet...now if only somebody could do that for me....

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
y'know it really depends on how much fish mass you're feeding. If you've got like, 30 fish in a tank, I don't think that a single cube of brine shrimp is going to do it in one feeding. You can do it a few ways:

1) Increase volume at feedings. Try seeing what happens if you increase the volume of omega flakes fedat noon, or feeding two cubes of brine shrimp and blood worms and see if they're still hungry or if they avoid the food.

2) Increase number of feedings. Try doing two feedings of frozen and two feedings of flake a day and see how that goes.

Ultimately it's dependent on how observant you are. Are the fish gaining weight? Losing weight? Maintaining weight but growing larger in size/height? It's basically like putting your fish on a healthy diet...now if only somebody could do that for me....

Thank you! We have only had the 2 x Angels and 3 x Gouramis for 3 days. I was worried that we were overfeeding! Your response makes me feel better about how much we are feeding.
Going from:
About a dozen guppies
2 runny nose tetras
1 cardinal tetras

To:
2 Mid sized Angels
3 Pearl Gouramis
10 Cardinal tetras
8 Rummy nose tetras
About a dozen Guppies

Is a big change in feeding patterns. I will continue to monitor how much food is being consumed as the fish eat and the water parameters while also keeping an eye on the size of the fish.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Juvenile cichlids require at least 3 feedings a day minimum. So, you are definitely not overfeeding. Most of the fish that you buy at LFS are juveniles as well. These fish are farm raised and sent out to LFS as quickly as viable enough for shipping and acclimation into tanks. So, being so young, they are in a crucial period of growth.
Bloodworms and brine shrimp are actually not that nutritious as a staple food source. I would feed one or the other once daily and rely on a high quality pellet/flake ( such as New Life Spectrum) for that 3rd feeding.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
When my angels were young I fed them three or four times a day (and did more frequent/larger water changes). Now that mine is mature, she only gets fed once daily, sometimes twice. Still is at the front looking for food whenever I come near the tank, but I just keep walking! or stop to say hi and watch her tail wag more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.