The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to having a more high tech tank, in the past I have had low light, low tech tanks and I am looking to go more towards the medium light (2.8W/gal), heavily planted high tech tank. I am looking into adding pressurized CO2 here in the near future, I was wondering what kind of fert regime I should use. I am trying my best to read about all of the EI stuff but I'm getting lost and confused. So if anybody could help me figure out some sort of regime that'd be great! Thanks in advance.
*I also do water changes daily*
Tank: 75G
Lights: 4x 54W 6700K T5HO

·
Registered
5,370 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wrote out a long post, but the internet ate it... -_-

As a side note, if your fixture is 4 x T5HO w/ quality individual reflectors you've got a LOT more than "medium" light. The WPG rule is designed for use with T8 bulbs, not T5HOs, and good reflectors really increase their usable light output. Basically with a nice enough fixture, even at 12" over the tank you'll still have high light. Suggested reading.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Aphotic! It looks like I am more in the range of high to too high of light. Which means I definitely need to get some CO2 and start dosing ferts. And thanks everybody else for the good links, the most difficult part for me so far has been trying to figure out a program that I can included frequent water changes in as I do keep discus.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
As far as ferts go, EI dosing is designed to provide an overabundance of every necessary nutrient. Too many nutrients is fine, and doesn't cause algae, no matter what you may read. Just have enough CO2 and nutrients (all of them) for the amount of light provided, and algae will not be a major issue.

Mathematically, the way EI dosing works, a 50% water change once a week will mean that there is *never* more than twice the weekly dose of any particular fertilizer in the tank, even with zero plants. Overdose, then remove half the excess at the end of the week. Simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts