The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use an inline heater for my 20gallon long tank since the intank heaters are too long and are an eyesore as well.
I was thinking about getting that hydor inline heater but I'm worried about the 200watts.
Now I've seen diy inline heaters threads with a list of what I would need to make one but I never see it built or hear about whether they work or not.
So has anyone ever tried the diy method or should I just buy the hydor?
And by the way what is the difference with the two 200w hydor heaters?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I would just buy the Hydor, by the time you get a good quality glass heater plus all the PVC fittings and water tight fitting you will have probably coverd the cost of the Hydor.

One of hte Hydors is 1/2" the other is 5/8" tubing size.

Craig

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just buy the Hydor, by the time you get a good quality glass heater plus all the PVC fittings and water tight fitting you will have probably coverd the cost of the Hydor.

One of hte Hydors is 1/2" the other is 5/8" tubing size.

Craig
That's what I'm thinking, though I would still like to know if anyone has had success with making them plus I have a intake heater so it would not be too costly.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I know its been done just no personal experience on my end only the Hydors. I think the biggest thing would be to make sure no air ever got trapped in the system as an air bubble could cuase the heater to over heat and when the water finally touched it may damage the heater. That would probably be a worst case scenario.

Craig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.