The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first time doing a pressuized CO2 setup and I am having problems attaching the needle valve to the my CO2 regulator.

I purchased a beverage CO2 regulator similar to this found on the beveragefactory website

And I got a Clippard Needle valve.

How in the world can you attach the two. The CO2 regulator has this giant hose barb where the air comes out. I can't seem to remove that thing at all. Is there some kind of adapter that I need to buy?

I can screw the needle valve into the hose barb but it's a loose fit so there is a leak. If I can't get rid of the hose barb, can I just make this connection tighter with either teflon tape or duct tape?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You don't remove the hose barb, but the whole red handled valve. All regulators have pipe threads for ports, and everything screws into those ports. It just takes a big wrench and a good way to hold onto the regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't remove the hose barb, but the whole red handled valve. All regulators have pipe threads for ports, and everything screws into those ports. It just takes a big wrench and a good way to hold onto the regulator.
Yes, that is what I have been trying to do but have been unsuccessful at removing the entire red handle and hose barb assembly. Any chance, I could just stick the needle valve into the hose barb and seal it up?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes, that is what I have been trying to do but have been unsuccessful at removing the entire red handle and hose barb assembly. Any chance, I could just stick the needle valve into the hose barb and seal it up?

No chance of that unless you get the tubing to fit the barb and then make a connector with another barb to screw the needle valve into.

Place the regulator into a vice or a good set of channel locks or vise grips, then a big wench on the barb, and twist hard.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
As mentioned, you will need to remove the entire red handle hose barb assembly. It will be impossible to just stick the needle valve into the hose barb and seal it up.

As jjp2 and Hoppy have mentioned, you must place the regulator into a vise, and then take a properly fitted wrench with a (preferably) long handle so you can get enough torque to unscrew the hose barb.

To screw the Clippard needle valve into the (what I assume to be) 1/8" NPT port on the regulator, you will need to find a #10/32 (the Clippard needle valve) to 1/8" adapter. Unfortunately, you will not be able to find the #10/32 adapter from your local hardware store, so your best bet is online.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I have the 10-32 adapter already. (See pics above.) I bought the needle valve and adapter as a package from MarineDepot and the descripition said it had a 1/8" hose barb outlet.

I'll try to unscrew it again. Don't really have all the necessary you described but I'll see if I can ask a friend. Is it true that if take the regulator off the cylinder now that I need to replace the washer for a new one?

As mentioned, you will need to remove the entire red handle hose barb assembly. It will be impossible to just stick the needle valve into the hose barb and seal it up.

As jjp2 and Hoppy have mentioned, you must place the regulator into a vise, and then take a properly fitted wrench with a (preferably) long handle so you can get enough torque to unscrew the hose barb.

To screw the Clippard needle valve into the (what I assume to be) 1/8" NPT port on the regulator, you will need to find a #10/32 (the Clippard needle valve) to 1/8" adapter. Unfortunately, you will not be able to find the #10/32 adapter from your local hardware store, so your best bet is online.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Is it true that if take the regulator off the cylinder now that I need to replace the washer for a new one?
If you are using a nylon washer, ideally, they should be replaced everytime you take off the regulator. This is because as you tighten the regulator onto the cylinder, the nylon washer gets crushed to form a tight, leak-proof seal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.