The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
These low wattage LEDs don't provide enough light to grow plants. For a fish-only tank, sure. You would see what I mean if you compared the output of a small T5 lamp with a LED lamp like that.

Using a 15W T8 fixture is the very minimum to keep plants alive, although only if it has a better-than-average reflector, and your plant selection will be very limited anyway. I used one like that overdriven to ~23W and it worked well.

PC bulbs are another good option for 10gal tanks, but it is very easy to get into light levels where ferts/CO2 is a must.

A double T8 fixture (2x 15W) is IMO a good solution for some plant growth, but still low tech with not too much nutrient demands.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Looks like the double strips are hard to come by at that length. Too bad because that would be a good amount of light. Two single might be an alternative...

If you are into building your own stuff, familiar with electricity and soldering and such, a homemade LED light can be a nice. There are dimmable drivers so you could adjust the light output as well.

Most of the commercially available ones are either too weak to grow plants, or way overkill.

AHSupply used to sell 13W PC kits, two of them worked well for a lower tech 10gal tank, although that was borderline on needing CO2/ferts.

·
Registered
736 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my main concern was that I was wanting to house this as a shrimp tank (cherries) I could probably get away with pressurized CO2 with like 1 bubble every 4-5 sec i think

·
Registered
736 Posts
are you fertilizing and CO2'ing that tank? if so how so?
I've got a topsoil substrate, EI dosing, and Diy CO2. That's all because I wanted to have high light ( 2-23w cfl's about 15 inches above the substrate). If you wanted a low/moderate light, 2-14w cfl's 15-17" above substrate would work. That would work well with a non-co2 setup. Look into using some kind of dirt substrate if you really don't want to fertilize. It's a real easy way to provide nutrients that your plants need without a lot of work.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a topsoil substrate, EI dosing, and Diy CO2. That's all because I wanted to have high light ( 2-23w cfl's about 15 inches above the substrate). If you wanted a low/moderate light, 2-14w cfl's 15-17" above substrate would work. That would work well with a non-co2 setup. Look into using some kind of dirt substrate if you really don't want to fertilize. It's a real easy way to provide nutrients that your plants need without a lot of work.
im just worried about c02 and the shrimp thats all....you think those fluval 13s (2 of them) would put me into the med/high light category?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.