The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 10 gallon tank with a 100watt heater it supposed to be about 78 degrees but reads 77.2 degrees and the red light keeps going on and off meaning it's supposed to be heating up. The room temperature is about 65 degrees. I live in upsate ny and it's cold here right now. I also have a 5 gallon tank with a 100 watt heater reading 77.5 degrees when it's preset at 78 degrees and the light also going on and off. One tank has betta the other a 2 African dwarf frogs. I guess I'm just wondering if I need to switch my heaters to a higher wattage due to it being colder here?

·
Registered
929 Posts
It seems you're worried about them being in the tenths of a degree off. That's actually pretty good as heaters go. As long as they are that close and cycling properly, I wouldn't worry about it. If it still bothers you that they are under 78, set them to 79 and they'll be just over 78.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
What brand heaters are they? If they are Eheim you can calibrate them to be very close to what you want. They have a moveable ring around the setting device that you can move to set them to the actual temp you want. Not hard to do and there should be instructions to tell you how. I use heater controllers so I don't worry about the heaters settings as long as it is above what the controller is set to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts