The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

This summer I'm out of town from the middle of June to the middle of August and our petsitter charges WAY extra to do anything fish-tank related, even if it's just feeding! I'm determined to find a way to build a not-too expensive water changing system using pre-conditioned water/RO water and a weekly timer. I currently have one 11gal and 2.6gal in one room in my house with the nearest faucet in the adjacent bathroom, about 35 feet away and around one hallway corner.

I keep Caridina shrimp, so the water has to be pristine and replenished often, and my evaporation rate is crazy, despite the cooler temperatures of the tanks.

Any ideas? Let me know!

olliefish

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Option 1:
Float switch in the tank, plumbed to a 5 gallon bucket that is above the tank. Gravity feed.
Set up a pump on a timer that will start to drain the tank, but the pump turns off as soon as the siphon is started. Tank drains down below the pump, siphon stops.
Float switches allow only a slow flow of water, so this might work. It won't keep trying to refill and keep siphoning out.

Option 2:
Pay the pet sitter. Make it clear that the 'WAY extra' includes insurance that the critters will live.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Setup an overflow outlet from the tank that runs directly to a drain, and run a pump on a timer for a set time to add water. Make sure that the overflow runs faster than the pump.

-Justin

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just wondering how many w/c and how much water per change? A 25% w/c would put you at 3.4 gallons per w/c. If you wanted one w/c per week that would put you at about 14 gallon total. So were talking more then a 5 gallon bucket. I would think a garage can full water would do you about right. I also think your going to have a pump and some kind of overflow box. As other have said a timer and pump is about the only way to do this. I would have this set up way before you leave just to work out the problems that could come up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.