The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a tank for a friend that is a 20 gallon high. It currently has 65 coralife watt PC fixture over it. This will be an excel only tank and there is absolutely no plans for co2. The guy even has a bubble wall for further issues. There is a variety of java ferns in the tank and will only have java ferns and java moss.

Right now, there is quite a bit of algae showing up on the leaves. Is there another lighting that will give adequate light for java ferns but not create a lot of algae issues? I have told him to up the excel dosage in the meantime.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It's a 24" tank, right? Those can be boogers to find good fixtures for... 2x15 watt T8s would be about right, but I don't think I've ever seen a 24" fixture with that dual bulb setup. He could get 2 single strip fixtures and that would work; he might even find them used if he looks around.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is 24" tank. The algae that is showing up is the dreaded BBA, too. :( I am wondering if raising it off the tank four inches would help at all. (I have feet that are four inches tall.)

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
No, that would be just fine if Java ferns and Java moss are all he's got in the tank right now.

Actually- I just read back and realized you said that Java moss and ferns are the only plants ever planned for the tank... in that case, that's all the light he should need, ever. He could add some Anubias and possibly even some Crypts in there, and call it done. :icon_smil

They won't grow much, but they should live, and algae should be minimal and easily kept in check with a few algae eaters.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Would a strip light that has T8 15 Watt Fluorescent light bulb be too little of light for javas? I have one in the closet...
No, that would be just fine if Java ferns and Java moss are all he's got in the tank right now.

Actually- I just read back and realized you said that Java moss and ferns are the only plants ever planned for the tank... in that case, that's all the light he should need, ever. He could add some Anubias and possibly even some Crypts in there, and call it done. :icon_smil

They won't grow much, but they should live, and algae should be minimal and easily kept in check with a few algae eaters.
That is great news! I'll switch him out next time I see him. I actually should call him instead of waiting too long. It was what Kara would call close to "algae soup."
Well I thought I'd chime in even though your question has been answered, but a 15w T8 is what I had on my 20H (and what actually is still on it though now it's my friend's tank) and I had a lot of luck with crypt wendti and spiralis in the tank and anubias too. Moss also grew well in the tank, had a piece of DW covered in XMas moss. AND i had plain old aquarium gravel in the tank (supplemented the crypts with root tabs of course).

So yeah, he should be good with that! :)

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gah! The light fixture was only 10 gallons, haha! Could you imagine if I tried to put that on (in) the tank? LOL! I have to find another route now. And I am running out of time as usual..... I wonder if two spiral daylight CFs would be enough now.....

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Oh no! That's too bad! It would have been so perfect! Sigh...

I think 2 spiral CFLs should throw enough light, I think I remember when mizu-chan first set up her 20L she had either 2 or 3 clip lights on it, and that was giving her med light i think, but given that this tank is deeper, I think 2 would give a good low light amount.

I'll try to find the thread.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Wait, so how long is his tank?

A standard 20H is only 24" so a 10gal fixture should fit...?
It would be about 4" short....but I just looked it up online and I think it actually has the same size bulb that my 24" strip light had...an 18" 15w T8.....so you might be able to use it actually, good point Laura Lee!

*edit* yup, check it out, same bulb in this 24" for a 20H as there is in this 20" for a 10g

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.