The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of what I currently have, it is to be a newt tank and currently only houses 1 female betta. I am oblivious to this "planted" tank thing, but absolutely love the look and realism. I think I've done a fair job with what I have on hand, but would appreciate some suggestions.

So here it goes, I need plants! What in your opinion would be good for this tank and could you give me any advise?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Here's an overview of my Cynops orientalis paludarium:

It's somewhat difficult to find plants for a fire belly newt paludarium; most of our selection of flora originate from tropical climes, while our newts won't stand temperatures above 75 (and prefer them in the 60's, with drops into the 50's during winter to stimulate breeding.) Due to the lower temperatures, our selection is slightly more limited, but here are a list of plants that I have had success with (listed with scientific name, common name, and temperature tolerance.)

Pretty much any moss: java, christmas, taiwan, weeping, etc
Aponogeton crispus: A. crispus: 68-80F
Aponogeton madagascariensis: Lace leaf Aponogeton: 64-74F
Aponogeton ulvaceus: A. ulvaceus: 64-82F
Bacopa caroliniana: Bacopa: 68-82F
Cabomba caroliniana: Green Cabomba: 61-79F
Cardamine lyrata: Cardamine: 58-68F (the cooler the temperature, the bigger the leaves)
Ceratophyllum demersum: Hornwort: 50-80F
Cryptocoryne willisii: C. willisii: 66-82F
Echinodorus horemanii E. horemanii: 64-79F
Echinodorus tenellus: Pigmy chain sword: 62-80F
Egeria densa: Elodea/Anacharis: 50-80F
Hottonia palustris: H. palustris: <65F (beautiful, but definitely not a beginner plant)
Hydrocotyle verticillata: Pennywort: 50-76F
Lysimachia nummularia: Creeping jenny: 50-72F
Myriophyllum aquatica: Fox Tail: 64-86F
Nuphar japonica: Japanese Water Lilly: 54-77F (not for small aquaria)
Riccia fluitans: Crystalwort/Riccia: 59-86F
Vallisneria spiralis: Corkscrew Val: 59-86F

At these temperatures, your female betta will not fare terribly well- I highly adivise that you switch her out for species more tolerant to cooler environments. In this situation, White Cloud Mountain Minnows (Tanichthys albonubes) work well, as they're fast, active, and tolerant of a wide range of temperatures and water qualities. They also breed regularly, so they would provide an occasional snack (and mental stimulus) for your newt(s).

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts