The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these plants about a week ago. They started out a beautiful green...thanks Starccc...now, as you can see they have started to turn redish. Is this a problem, ie-transplant shock or a nutrient deficiency. I dose basically to what is recommended for Flourish, Excel, Iron, Trace, and I have pressurized CO2(ph stays b/t 6.8 and 7.00) Khstays b/t 4-6. If anyone can let me know, please do about the blyxa, as well as any comments on tank overall. I had just done a little moving of plants, so the tank is a little cloudy in this pic. I also did a cutting of the rotala and ludwig in the right side tonight that is not shown in this pic...sorry. too lazy to upload more pics tonight. Thanks all

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't know...thought it was supposed to be green. It's not melting, but I thought maybe it was a sign of deficiency?.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Blyxa turns red in high light. When I trim mine and let it float up at the surface it gets a lot of light a turns a bright red color.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that might explain it.. I have 195w over a 42g tank...Its 24lx20w x 20 H. Normally, my short plants seem to need more light due to depth of the tank(ie-they dont grow as well as some of the tanks I see, maybe due to nutrients, again). I would like more input from others, but this sounds plausible. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
not sure about yours, but when i had b. japonica, it got reddish towards the top. it could be my monitor/eyes, but yours looks more brown than what mine looked like. you can't really see the pink in this photo, but it's the only photo i could find that i haven't deleted.

if i'm not mistaken, Blyxa aubertii will get that sort of reddish/bronze color.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks dane, I'll try to post a better(closeup) pic of the blyxa tomorrow. Maybe that will help you and others to see whats going on. The redish is at the upper parts of the plants at this point, not really getting worse... but not getting any greener either. Thanks again, dane

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow...thanks Dane...you're absolutely right... same set of issues....Like I said before....I don't claim to be an expert. Thanks for the great link. I would also like anyone's input that thinks this could be anything else. Right now I'm going to go off of Dane, Cardinal, and Barb, as well as Betowess's thoughts, and assume things are ok. But please let me know if there is anything wrong if you have experience w/blyxa j. Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
845 Posts
Taken from APC plant finder: " This Blyxa species is not too difficult to grow if its basic requirements are met: intense lighting in the 2-4 watts per gallon range, CO2 injection, and a fertilization regimen including nitrate, phosphate, potassium, and micronutrient supplementation. If conditions are to its liking and lighting is intense, the leaves of B. japonica will develop golden and reddish hues and the plants will exhibit more compact growth. If it does not receive enough lighting, however, B. japonica will become taller, lankier, and greener. This plant produces an impressive root system and appreciates a nutritious substrate. If phosphate levels are kept high (1-2 ppm), this species will continuously produce small white flowers on long, thin stalks. " http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=123&category=genus&spec=Blyxa

1 - 11 of 11 Posts