The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm trying to bring my parent's 5 year old aquarium back to life. Part of this process is fixing the lighting system on the Nano Cube.

This Nano Cube comes with 2 LED "Nite Vu" moonlights. Over a year ago, these LED's just quit working and I'm not sure why. It's not critical to have this fixed, but I'd really like to get this tank back to tip-top shape.

If anyone knows how to trouble shoot this, please let me know. I don't even know where to start as the manual has long been lost. Well the manual is on JBJ's website, but it doesn't show how to replace the LED's or troubleshoot them.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
there is a few guys who upgrade the cannopys but its costly.

I have the same issue you are having, the circuit board that controls the leds (voltage regulator) fails. Its located inside the hood cannopy and connected to the light switch on the cannopy.

I tried to figure out why but couldnt, so I got a circuit board for leds with waterproffing (you dont have to get it but these are bright). I then mounted it and hooked it up on its OWN power. I used a voltage adapter that varied from 6v to 12v, so i can adjust the brightness. Since it is also on its own I can put it on its own timmer.

The adapter costs about 10 bucks. At the same time i upgraded the fans in the cannopy becuase one was going out, its very common...those run about 10 bucks each to.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information! I'll hold off on retrofitting it, given my history with electricity it's just not wise for me to make those changes. At least I have an idea why the LED's failed though, so maybe I can get one of my friends to look into it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
yea its a weird thing, and its only the size of a quarter of a credit card.

When i retroed mine, it was nice because all the wiring was behind the plastic. I used hot glue and some short screws to mount the majority of it, I also put an inline fuse.

I searched and searched for the same issue with no results. However i barley turn on the night lights cause I cant sleep at night with them on LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.