The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
please help, i have never seen a ho t5 on a tank so i cant judge if its enough light for my tank its 18 deep 20 wide 31 high think it a 45gallon.i have a 96 quad on it right now would a t5ho 2x 18 be enough or what do i need .its hard because 20 wide does not have a lot of options. i have pressure co2 .thank you in advance.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I don't think you will get enough light even for low light plants with 2 x 18 T5HO. If those are in one fixture you would have low light at the substrate right under the fixture, but the 18 inch depth would make the front and back portions of the substrate be very much under lighted. If you had 4 x 18, and those were spaced 3-4 inches apart, it should work for low light. Or even a pair of 2 x 18, with the fixtures spaced a few inches apart should work. To get high light intensity you will probably need to use a MH-HQI type light, hanging above the tank. The footprint of the tank is almost square, so that should work well with a MH type fixture. I have no idea how much wattage you would need for that-150 watt or more is my guess.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, this is a challenging size tank to light for planted... and I think a suspended MH will probably be your best bet. I'd also guess around 150 watts would give you the best results, and you could experiment a bit with height over the tank.
thank you both ,but would the mh heat up the tank too much.how about leds like powerbrite from current or some thing like that.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You would almost have to design and build your own LED fixture, and the 31 inch height of the tank might force you to use lenses on the LEDs, adding to the cost. If you want a very interesting, but also very time consuming project, just start learning how to make an LED fixture, design your own, and build it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok forget the leds will buy fixure when they are resonably priced.right now i have a 96 watt quad and a t5hox2 18 watt on it now. tank is only 20 inches wide .iam ei dosing ,have slow grow from plants except the water sprit which is med growth.need more light have no alage problem at all right now.i have pressure co2, indcator is green so i guess i have enough co2.i want more light!! is a 70 watt mh to small for it or do i need the 150mh like you guys said.my problem will be the heat in the summer i live in florida

1 - 6 of 6 Posts