The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to sell everything in my planted tank and redo the whole tank.
Its a Marineland 46 Gallon Euro, Im looking to do a Tang tank this is my stock:
6-7 Tropheus moorii Moliro or Tropheus Moorii Lufubu (1-1.5")
6 Lamprologus Similis
2 Neolamprologus brichardi
2 Altolamprologus compressiceps

I was thinking about Julidochromis Marlieri or Neolamprologus tretocephalus instead but I dont know..
Filter: 2x...Aquaclear 50
Heater: Aqueon 200watt
Powerhead: Aqueon 500gph
Light: 10,000k/Actinic
Please let me know!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I kept rift lake cichlids for years and the two things that concern me are the extreme differences in diets (herbivorous tropheus to carnivorous comps) and the extreme differences in behaviour (very excitable tropheus to very calm comps) in what, for these guys, isn't a very large tanks.

brichardi shine especially well when kept in a group environment and a group is their more natural state, so I would personally lose the tropheus and make a group of the former.

Julis ate pretty awesome but can be tricky to manage, the Tetro is larger and much more aggressive than the other stock - much.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know it's an old thread, but that's a terrible stocking idea. I currently have a 46G tang tank and I've made many stocking mistakes that I hope you can avoid.

Tropheus and N. brichardi are extremely aggressive and are recommended for species-only tanks. I had an N. brichardi pair and they caused significant stress deaths, and they weren't even breeding! Breeding N. brichardis are known to kill everything in the tank including adult plecos. Tropheus are known to do the same even without breeding. Also, Tropheus are herbivores while others are carnivores/omnivores so they will get bloat if you feed anything other than veggies.

You can't overstock an tang tank like you can with Mbuna. Tangs need territories and you can't do much with a 3' tank. You can probably get 2 pairs of mild-mannered cave dwellers (neolamps, comps, julis), a pair of shellies, and a small school of cyps...and that would be pushing it. Check out the species profiles and stocking recommendations on cichlid-forum (and keep in mind that they're a bit optimistic).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts