·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55g
with 96w pc about 8 inches above the water line
emp400
penguin 200

used water from an established tank and the filters plenty of beneficial bacteria

temp is at 77 (steady)
nitrates 10ppm
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
ph fluctuates lights off 7.2 lights on 7.6

eco complete substrate

9 molly's

photoperiod 8 hrs a day

some of my wenti's leaves go from green to brown then white and dead

my money wort has some really nice green on it the some brown leaves

forgot the names of some other plantes that i have but the tips of the plants are brown (swords and crypts)

i dont have any pics just yet

but just wondering if anyone has any idea whats going on and how i can get the plants going in the right direction ????

any help is much appreciated
tia

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
If the tank is new then it is likely diatom algae. Even if you used old media this is still likely as it happens regularly with new cycled tanks. This type of algae consumes silicates and once that is used up then it will disappear. Crypts typically have a wilting phase when transfered to new tanks, but they will regrow if left alone. They are not too light demanding so I doubt it could be lack of light. Is the browning something you can wipe off? That is most likely the diatom algae

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont dose fertalizers (yet) ??

i just tried wiping off the plants but nothing not diatoms i know what your talking about there i had saltwater tanks for 10 yrs so i totally get what your saying

yes the tank is very new up and running since this past friday (if that helps)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
i dont dose fertalizers (yet) ??

i just tried wiping off the plants but nothing not diatoms i know what your talking about there i had saltwater tanks for 10 yrs so i totally get what your saying

yes the tank is very new up and running since this past friday (if that helps)
Co2 is also always a plus. Diy is tough on a 55, but you could do it with a couple bottles. At least get it slightly better than without. Always helps defend against algae as well as give the best to your plants.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so possibly just new plant melt or may be lacking co2

what would say about
are my light 2 bright ? not bright enough ?
should i be dosing ferts???

and lastly on ideas
would it be better to try ferts before doing co2 to see if it helps
or should i give the plants a little more time to settle in first ?

by the way wow on the fast responses, and thank you

being a previous reefer if you didnt talk about something rare and exotic answers were seldom

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I would give the plants a week or two before dosing. The nutrient requirement will be much less without co2. Idk much about power compacts so story I can't help there. With lower light and no co2 you shouldn't have to dose more than weekly. If you like the help please feel free to comment on my signature thread to help me win a pressurized co2 system. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.