The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is what I have in mind already for my 55G. It's 48" long, 12" wide, and 24" tall.

I'm not quite done, but I'm stuck in a rut. I've done some research on low tech plants, but would like some advice from people who have a low tech tank and would be willing to help me out with plant placements.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I do more of an iwagumi layout, so I can't help that much, but I believe the golden ratio still applies to both styles of aquascapes. Google "golden ratio aquarium" and you'll find it.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do more of an iwagumi layout, so I can't help that much, but I believe the golden ratio still applies to both styles of aquascapes. Google "golden ratio aquarium" and you'll find it.
So I googled this and I'm going to have to redo my layout now because I can see what they mean by having a focal point, and right now I don't have one.

Time to think this out a little bit

·
Registered
639 Posts
I really had a LOT of success with watersprite in my 55 and thats a backround plant forsure. as for the amazon swords, mine never seem to get beyond 8 inches tall, so I would pull it forward a couple inches and put something tall behind it, mebe val. or sprite, or westeria. Make sure you get the right kind of crypt also because non of the species i had ever grew. As for the general layout it doesnt really "work" if you see what i mean, the val in the middle will out grow most in height and one patch usually doesnt work too well. I would also chuck in a bunch of amazons in the righthand side below the horn wort to balance things out.

And to settle the thing about the sizing of a 55 gallon, I have a 60 gallon tall and have had a 55 gallon. The 60's dementions are 12-24-48 and a 55 is 12-21-48

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Low Tech 55 Gs

Good morning shiny...

I have several low tech, planted 55 Gs. There are quite a number of low light plants you can grow. More than enough to fill one 55 G.

If you care to get a little creative, you can attach some plants that require stronger light to pieces of driftwood, like Water sprite, Water wisteria and Banana plants and grow plants on the bottom and top of the tank.

Attached are some pics of 55 Gs I use to experiment with different plants, ferts and substrates. You'd be surprised at the number of plants that will grow in low light and good ferts.

Feel free to PM me if you have some specific questions. I'm never too busy to talk about the low tech side of heavily planted tanks.

B

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What up people!

So I have taken into consideration everyone's feedback from this post and have planted my tank yesterday. It's nothing like my original idea. I am going to start a journal on it later this evening and I will post a link in this thread to it (am busy most of the day so can't get around to it until later).

My one question now is, since I'm fully planted, what fish should I put in to start the cycling process? I'm going to seed the filter with media from my 15G to give it a kick start. I know danios are hardy, but I don't really like the looks of them.

What I want stocked in it eventually (little by little), is to have an angelfish or 2, school of tetras (no idea which yet), school of cories, and an algae eater(s) (depending on size).

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hardy Cycling Fish

shiny,

Most of the "Livebearers" are pretty resilient to the cycling process. I've always been partial to Fancy Guppies. The Feeder Guppies are good starter fish. Others are Platys, Mollies and Swordtails. All are good starter fish.

B

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.