The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am changing my 29 gallon planted high light tank (2.9wpg) to a Amazon bio tope ish tank.

I have three picked out as posible and will be marked with three ***.

Apistogramma agassizii

***Apistogramma Cacatuoides***

Checkerboard cichlid ( not an apisto i know but still a posible)

Don't really care if they breed or not but i would like one male and one female.

They would have to be safe to put with Neon tetras and or cardinal tetras as these would be the smallest fish in the tank.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have these and love them , They are great in a 30gal. Get 1 male and 2 female. I started wih 3 and now have 20+ as a group. They have never bothered any of my other fish.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Checkerboard cichlids are one of the single most stunning fish I've ever met up close and personal. I almost brought home a pair on the spot.

Boy was I glad I didn't. They are VERY demanding in water condions, and rather picky eaters. Might want to do a little more research on them before you make your decision on these.

Cacatuides however, is one of my absolute favorites. So, this one gets another vote.

Have you looked into Apistogramma borelli at all? There are some really beautiful color variations of them, though they'd do best in a harem setting. Other then that, they are even less picky about water conditions then the Cacatuiodes and should be fine with smaller fish.

Actually, all of them should be. I'd just be worried about the checkerboard cichlids, there rather fragile.

·
Plant Lover
296 Posts
I've never had D. filimentosis (that the checkerboard, isn't it?), but I have aggies in one tank and cacas in the other. Love em both. Would be hard for me to choose between them. They are both striking. See what is available to you. Both have a lot of personality. The cacatoides are more sexually dimorphic in terms of size, but both males are just stunning. My wife prefers the male cacatoides, but I have always loved aggies. My cacas are always breeding, but with the other fish in there the youngin's don't survive...

I don't think one is more demanding than the other as long as you have good perams generally, softish water, and pH in range.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
...I have three picked out as posible and will be marked with three ***.

Apistogramma agassizii

Checkerboard cichlid ( not an apisto i know but still a posible)

Don't really care if they breed or not but i would like one male and one female...
That's a tough call, Will. I've had all three plus the A. borelli (opal). I know that the Apisto's are harem spawners but I'm not sure about the Checkerboards. Get at least two females to one male of the Apisto's. If you get one male and one female; the male might kill her if see isn't ready to spawn and he is. With two or more females, this will keep the male from harassing the lone female.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have had apisto. cacatoides, rotpunkt, borelli, trifasciata (my favorite) and panduro. I've also had Dicrossus which are waaay more demanding. The trifasciatas are the tiniest of the apistos I've had and they have bred like maniacs but even the little 3/4 inch female will terrorize all the cardinal/three-spot/ember tetras and the big bushynose plecos into one half of my 60 gallon tank (the half not taken up with her and her babies). They otherwise get along with the tetras but keep in mind that the tetras are egg and baby stealers so during breeding they get chased away. Whichever you choose, make lots of hiding spots using driftwood and have at LEAST one pot/cave for every female but it's better to have two. Arrange the driftwood and plants so the caves don't have direct line of sight to each other. Luckily, they don't require big territories. The male and female can get a little snippy with each other when not in breeding. As long as you don't have really alkaline and high pH water, you can get just about any apisto you want. If you have high pH water (7.0 or above), try cacatoides - they're tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts