The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a couple of fish stores back in the 90's where we sold exclusively fw and sw fish, live plants, trickle systems, and the full Dupla line.

I'm now an (older dude) and would like to get back in as a hobbyist and it seems that ALL the old stuff we used to sell is no more.
Where as most of this is fine (the Dupla lighting system consisted of pendant hanging mercury vapor lights that generated tremendous amounts of heat and capacitors burned up and failed, and huge amounts of electricity was used.

With this said, after doing a bunch of google searches to find higher end equipment I've not fared very well. This is where I'm going to ask you folks.

Who now sells Dupla type products, Co2, plant fertilizers, comprehensive sets of testing kits, lighting (with the LED systems I've seen now,,, this looks great) custom tank sizes, trickle system filters, etc?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
There are not many brands that encompass the entire line of products needed at a very high end. Typically you will buy from multiple brands. That said ADA does make everything. Is all of their products the very best there is?? Ehhh debatable, but certainly they are somewhere in the top 5 - 10% of quality (possibly higher). You will pay a lot for them though. Other brands to consider, UNS for tanks, kessil and twinstar for lights, nicolg thrive for fertilizer, ada, tropical, and uns for aquasoil.

Filters are heavily leaning towards canister filters these days with lily pipes (either glass or stainless steel). For filters Oase has some very nice features the others lack if your tank is not too big.

For co2 regulators the best is probably a diy conversion or buying one in the for sale section of this forum.

Hopefully this is helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, not a single one of these manufactures I recognize!

I'll start googling these as a good start.

Eheim were the only canister filters back than, but the Dupla overflow filters with the Dupla Bio-Balls were the thing.
So, trickle filters aren't the thing anymore? I know they evaporated a lot of Co2 but we had pretty good Co2 injection to compensate for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are good merchants/vendors for sump type systems?
I'd like the tank to have an internal overflow box, with the hole drilled in the bottom of the overflow with bulkhead piping to the filter tank below in the cabinet.

Will I have to have this custom made?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.