The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Aquatop IL5-UV to clear up some wicked green water. I don't have a canister filter, or a sump, it's just a 10-gal tank with an Aquaclear HOB. How exactly do I hook this up? It didn't come with any instructions whatsoever, their website is useless, and even google didn't find much for me.

So this is what I have, with all the fittings shown in the picture
http://www.truaqua.com/in-line-uv-sterilizer-5w.html

I found this by googling, but as I said, I don't have a sump
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-32922797599336/ILManual-web.pdf

I bought it off Amazon, and this is their description:
AQUATOP’S specially designed In-Line Ultraviolet Sterilizer maximizes UV exposure in a compact, easy-to-install unit. The IL5-UV multifunctional UV sterilizers can be installed in-line or as a hang-on unit. Simply connect to a water pump, power head, or on the return line of a canister filter. The IL-UV Series includes a replaceable UV-C Lamp, barbed fittings and is suitable for both fresh and saltwater use. AQUATOP’S IL-UV Series clarifies and sterilizes aquarium water, providing clear and healthy water so your aquatic creatures to thrive!.

Somehow I thought I could just hook it up with an air pump, but now I realize it's actually a water pump I need. I'm really frustrated because I need this thing running ASAP. Can someone help me out with detailed instructions of how this is supposed to be hooked up? I'm a scientist, so I've got all the ferts and biology down, but I'm not mechanically inclined :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've never owned one But I believe you need to hook it inline with a canister filter or something that would constantly push water through it. Seeing as you don't have one maybe you could rig it to your inlet of your main filter somehow? If all else fails & it is only a temporary thing just stick a powerhead on either end

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I forgot to mention, this would be just temporary.

As for "rigging" things - like I said, not very mechanically inclined :( I got the Atomic CO2 regulator because I just couldn't get my head around building my own regulator (not that I regret getting the Atomic - I would wholeheartedly recommend it even to those who can build their own)

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you have a powerhead try inserting the outlet end inside of the uv filter, if it's loose you can try putting tubing around the outlet until the fit is snug, I have also used electric tape before lol. Pretty much you are just trying to get a tight enough fit to kind of wedge it in.

If you were to attempt to hook it with your hob filter you would have to cut the original filter tube then wedge that side in following cutting a lower portion of the tube & wedging it in the bottom. But since it's temporary I would just use a powerhead

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, I'll look into a powerhead. The bigger problem is that I don't even know which way is in and which way is out. I guess it might not matter, if water just flows through. One end is supposed to be attached to the powerhead, and the other end going directly into the tank?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, R.sok, I appreciate the help. So, in the "powerhead" method, I connect the powerhead and the UV sterilizer with some tubing. What happens to the other end of the UV sterilizer? It's not a submersible unit. I put more tubing at the other end, leading back into the tank?

As for hooking up the tubing - just push it in and screw on the fittings? The link above shows the types of fittings it came with, there are 3 sizes (16 mm, 20 mm, 20/25 mm). So I would pick the size that fits the powerhead?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess a submersible water pump wouldn't be a good idea in such a small tank? I have platies, including fry, so I'm already weary of all this. I tried a powerhead for circulation many years ago, and the first morning there was a dead platy stuck in it :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
Np

Yes you would first find a tube that fits closest for the powerhead but fits perfectly on the uv filter. You need the tubing for the uv filter to fit snug, the powerhead on the other hand can be a little off, if it leaks it only leaks water back into the tank.

So it would go in this order--- pump in the tank with a hose leading out of the tank into the uv & then a hose from the uv going back into the tank.
Depending on how low or high you plan to mount the uv you would need a pretty strong pump. This is where the problem comes in..powerheads & fry do not get along well, normally one could always put something on the inlet of the powerhead to reduce flow, but reducing flow on the powerhead could slow it down so much that it wouldn't be strong enough to pump the water through the uv filter.

exactly what size tank is this & what was the reason for your purchase of a uv filter?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Or actually I think I may have a solution to using a slow powerhead, or choking one down so your fry don't get hurt. Please excuse my paint, I haven't used it in years & think I believe I drew the image backwards LOL

By mounting your powerhead & uv filter as high as possible the pump doesnt really work hard at all, in fact I believe you could get away with the weakest pumps. Mounting the powerhead low would take a lot of power (gph) to push the water up & around through the uv, but by mounting everything as high as possible the pump doesn't need to work hard at all to fight gravity because the distance & incline would be so minimal.

I tried to draw another picture for you to explain how you should mount it for least effort to pump water & I would mount it exactly as the picture shows. I'm sure you could choke down the pump as much as you want protecting your fry with this method

-uv is colored red
-blue line is output of powerhead going to input of uv
-green line is uv exit tubing going back into the tank

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really appreciate your help. I was super frustrated last night, and the green water is now getting gunky too, so I was desperate and ordered another one, which is an all-in-one unit that pumps as well. It's the aquatop UVP-9. I would've had to buy a powerhead anyway, so the price difference is negligible now.

I need it to battle green water in my 10-gal. It's high light/ high ferts/ high CO2, and I made the mistake of getting rid of all my fast-growing plants all at once, because they needed too frequent trimming. I need it clear for Christmas, it's embarrassing :(

Here's a pic from summer. Need to get it back to that state :)

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have you tried going to the Aquatop forum under the sponsor section right here on TPT?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you tried going to the Aquatop forum under the sponsor section right here on TPT?
LOL no, I had no idea. The other unit arrived today, and I've got it hooked up, though not without a few hiccups. Let's hope it works soon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I'd update. The UV sterilizer was GIGANTIC for my little 10-gal. I had to uproot some plants and dig a hole in the substrate all the way to the glass bottom, and even then I had to put it on a slant. It just barely fit, the power cord was almost touching the water. But anyway, it worked like a charm, I had crystal clear water in 3 days. The first pic below shows how big the UV sterilizer is, this pic was on the third day, just before I removed it and did a water change. The second pic I snapped just a minute ago. I didn't take any pics with the green water, but it was so bad, I couldn't even see the wood piece, and there was bubbly slime all over the top of the water. So gross. I was actually surprised that the Echinodorus grew so much during the time it was sitting in the green water, I have no idea how. Now it just needs some serious aquascaping, but otherwise the plants and fish are doing well. These platies can live through the apocalypse, they're the best little fish!

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts