The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having a very weird issue with my drop checker, it wont change color! Had this setup for about 2yrs and never had this issue.

Relevant Tank parameters:
ada 60p
dkh-3
gh -3
running aquatek paintball about 2 bubbles per sec
using lily pies so cant be much Co2 loss

1-Filled up checker with new Dkh4 and Api phdrops(2-3).
2-Didn't change for 2 days / BRIGHT BLUE
3-refilled again same as step 1, thought maybe dkh liquid is culprit up but checked with api ALK test and it comes to 4dkh
4-its been 24 hours and still no change in color
5-Moved drop checker right near diffusor -waiting.....

any insight as to why its not changing color?

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can check the actual PH drop of your water in about 30 minutes by taking a sample of tank water in a jar and put an airstone in it for 30 minutes. Test the PH of that sample. This is the de-gassed PH. Now test the PH of the tank. The difference between the 2 will tell you roughly how much co2 is in the water. A 1 point drop is about 30 PPM although there can be quite a few variables. It is close enough to get an idea of where you are at co2 wise. PH pens are cheap and make this exercise much more accurate.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
That reminds me, time for a new battery and calibration fluid...
So much less effort than shaking and washing stuff.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can check the actual PH drop of your water in about 30 minutes by taking a sample of tank water in a jar and put an airstone in it for 30 minutes. Test the PH of that sample. This is the de-gassed PH. Now test the PH of the tank. The difference between the 2 will tell you roughly how much co2 is in the water. A 1 point drop is about 30 PPM although there can be quite a few variables. It is close enough to get an idea of where you are at co2 wise. PH pens are cheap and make this exercise much more accurate.

Will give it a go as it still didnt change from yesterday(above the diffusor now)

I dont think its the api drops(exp 2018) because i measured the ph of my 2 tanks with them yesterday and they seem to be accurate; my reef was 8ph(actually didnt change because it only goes up to 7.6 but was the highest color blue) and the planted one was about 6.6ph

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I did the test using the API ph tests
Aerated tank water is about 7.6 or higher (only used the low range ph)
Tank water is about 6.6-6.8

So there is my 1 point ph drop which makes sense but the drop checker is bluish green(kinda changed FINALLY but not much) which is good but its right next to the diffuser now whereas i had it on the otherside of tank previously and it would be green/yellow(how it should function)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts