The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I woke up this morning to my partner informing me that my uninhabited 10g quarantine tank... is now inhabited.

...What?!

Sure enough, hiding among the plants I’ve spotted 3 new mystery fish fry. These fry did not come from my 30g tank, the eggs must have hitched a ride on some plants from the aquarium store and then took their sweet time hatching. I honestly don’t know how these fish are alive.

I need to get them identified in order to figure out if they need a heater, particular food, etc. Tetras? Rasboras? Any guess is a good guess!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
I dont know what they are but thats pretty cool! Most fry will eat baby brine shrimp.
Aquarium coop has baby brine in a jar on their website. I think petco carries Hikari first bites which is also a nice tiny fry size food.
Congrats on your bonus prize!

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
if you have any small pellets you can crush those up. they tend to be pretty good all around food.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tiniest pellets I have are Hikari shrimp cuisine, not sure they’ll be good for baby fish. I feed my 30g community flakes. I’ll have to go out today and see about finding some smaller food. I have frozen spirulina, it has mysis and brine shrimp in it, think that would work?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's quite cool, posting just so I can stay updated on the identification.
I’m hoping I can keep them alive long enough to see what they are. They’ve been thriving just fine in the ball of Java moss apparently, eating microorganisms I’ve let take over the tank because I’ve only been using it to toss extra plants into, so I haven’t been doing any water changes. My BF did a water change this morning to help me out and discovered there was fish life in the tank lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lasted this long, just keep doing what you've been doing and I'm sure someone here will be able to identify soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I crushed up flakes tonight because I saw 4 of them swimming around, and the flakes were just ignored and sank to the bottom. I hope they’re eating something, can’t keep them alive if they won’t eat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The fry are about 1/4” - 1/2” currently! So far I’ve seen four in the tank. I’m moving my nerite snail into the tank today to do some cleanup. Today I went by my LFS and the lady said they definitely look like tetras, most likely ember tetras, so I bought some baby brine shrimp and added a heater to the tank today, as it’s been sitting around 70F. I’ll post more photos soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are at least 5 confirmed live fry in the tank now. I added some BBS and while the fry are swimming and active, it’s hard to say if they’ve actually eaten any of the BBS, but that’s the best I can get for them so they’ll have to figure it out, haha. They seem active and healthy so far, they have to be eating something that I don’t provide.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ooh, fingers crossed for the little ones!

I got two mystery fish with my order of neon green rasboras. When they were small they looked exactly like young neon greens so I had no idea there was something different about them. But when they just kept growing and growing... Turns out I now have two 3 inch long sidestripe rasboras (rasbora paviana), male and female.

edit: here's a poor cellphone image of the female paviana.
paviana.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Im gonna throw my hat in as Red Phantom tetra. Black dorsal, black dot starting to form behind the gill cover, relatively even golden reddish color without markings throughout the body and tail fin. But of course babies, just like people, change appearance radically over time ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Im gonna throw my hat in as Red Phantom tetra. Black dorsal, black dot starting to form behind the gill cover, relatively even golden reddish color without markings throughout the body and tail fin. But of course babies, just like people, change appearance radically over time ;)
I agree, these definitely look more like red phantom than ember tetra.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on the babies, they are finally recognizing the baby brine shrimp as food and it feels like they are growing by the day now. They seem to be doing quite well! I think we are out of the woods now. I see 3-5 of them on any given day now and I’ve counted 6 at one time recently.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts