The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I recently got a Tylomelania teufel from an online local shop (Italy). Shipment was problematic cause the shop, at the last moment, changed to a very bad courier service (well known in my country) and, while i bought two of them, only one survived the delivery.
Now, the survivor snail came in pretty bad conditions, at least 2 cracks on the shell and a strange thing attached to the side of her head but at least she is alive for now and i would like to save this amazing creature.

That small white worm-like creature move very slowly but remains attached to that location. Below him, as you can see, there is a strange organic mass that have the same color of the worm but i have no idea if it's something like a sore/ulcer or a worm's egg sack. My first idea is a leech but i don't have enough experience to be sure about that.
I have a bottle of Seachem Paraguard but i think it will harm the snail so i haven't used it yet (and i don't think i will since Seachem itself suggest to remove snails before dosing in the tank).

Anyone can ID this creature and/or the white mass below him? Do you know how can i get rid of him from the snail?
Thanks for any help, really appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve seen a very similar lesion in a wild land snail (Achatina sp.) a few years back. I could never identify it.

I’m not sure about the details you see but it could be a tumour and not a parasite. In either case touching it with a liquid nitrogen dipped bud would be my treatment of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I have a quick update: since yesterday the "withe sack" is disappeared, it went smaller and smaller everyday and, the worm disappeared too with the "white sack". The snail is active and go around and dig his head in the gravel looking for food.
My idea is that this worm was (probably is, somewhere) a detritus worm and he was eating the stuff that the snail got stuck on the side of her head digging with it in the ground. What do you think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.