The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setup
- 6.5 gallon curved tank
- HS Robot LED-S68 (http://www.jebostore.com/ROBOT_HS_LED_S68_p/s68.htm)
- ADA Aqua Soil-Amazonia

Dosing
PPS-PRO Liquid Ferts (from nilocg) daily before the lights come on

Fauna
One aggressive little female Betta named "Buttcup"

I think it might be an iron deficiency but I'd like a second opinion!

I've started noticing the bottom leaves on my Stauro. yellowing while the new growth is green. The new growth start to yellow over time as well. I've checked two plant deficiency charts and while one says it's an iron deficiency (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98529) while the other points to nitrogen (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Olhd7egDKDY/UZF3ryQd_xI/AAAAAAAAAMk/3DkU3ghDn_c/s640/deficiency+chart.jpg).

I'm a bit confused now. You'll also notice my poor, poor, Ludwigia in the background curling. I just did a water change and algae cleaning last night in my battle against hair algae which I'm pretty sure is due to the fertilizers and light. I've starting cutting back on the light cycle. If anyone could help, it'd be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
High light situation, staurogyne and no CO2...your lower leaves will continue to turn brown and fall off. It's a great plant but if your CO2 is not right it usually doesn't do well.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What are your water parameters? Is the tank cycled? I had the same problem, curling leaves and brown algae. I was dosing pps pro. My problem was co2 my plants were not getting enough co2. So by adding ferts everyday and good lighting but no co2 I created an imbalance. The pro's will tell you that most problems start with lighting and co2, so start there. Your light seems pretty bright, if I was using it, I'd add another co2 source. You could try dosing some excel everyday. It will also help kill algae. If you don't want to add co2, you should raise the light or dim it with some screen. And cut your photoperiod down. Hit up Zapins, he's helped me before, he's really good at deficiencies. I personally don't think you have a nutrient problem but a light and co2 problem.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are your water parameters? Is the tank cycled? I had the same problem, curling leaves and brown algae. I was dosing pps pro. My problem was co2 my plants were not getting enough co2. So by adding ferts everyday and good lighting but no co2 I created an imbalance. The pro's will tell you that most problems start with lighting and co2, so start there. Your light seems pretty bright, if I was using it, I'd add another co2 source. You could try dosing some excel everyday. It will also help kill algae. If you don't want to add co2, you should raise the light or dim it with some screen. And cut your photoperiod down. Hit up Zapins, he's helped me before, he's really good at deficiencies. I personally don't think you have a nutrient problem but a light and co2 problem.
Thanks for responding! For my water params, the only thing I can test is ammonia since I haven't received my test strips yet. I don't have any around since I had a small low-tech planted 5g a while ago with RCS and low-light plants. They thrived!

The tank is cycled and has been established since December. I noticed they started yellowing after the ferts so maybe it is a co2 issue. For now I've cut down the photo period and also raised the light. I'll look into the Excel as well just in case the light changes by itself aren't helping. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts