The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This fish is virtually impossible to get a good picture of unless he is in the mood to risk going out in the light every now and then. I've tried lifting his little hiding spots, and he just darts away to the other ones. I'm curious to know, because something ate one of my dwarf frogs, and I highly doubt it was my cory cats. Whatever it was basically sucked out the inside of the frog, and left it's skin.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You can have a (long!) look through the pictures at Planet Catfish.

Does not look like a common- the nose on your fish looks wider, more rounded.

Could the frog have died first, then been eaten?

Some Plecos (and other sucking fish like the CAE) will suck on the sides of large fish like Angels and Discus to eat the slime coat. I am not sure which will or won't do this, but I have heard of Commons (lots of posts), Otos (1 post) and CAE (lots of posts).

What size is your fish?
Does it eat wood? Vegetables? Carnivore wafers or pellets (such as shrimp pellets)?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Do you have assassin snails? I have heard of snails completely cleaning the inside of a carcass and leaving a shell, the critter (I believe the pic I seen was an oto) was already dead.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You're probably aware and discounted this already but just in case, ADFs do shed their skin, they usually eat the sheds but is it possible that's what you found?
Interesting info, I did not know this.

Bump:
You can have a (long!) look through the pictures at Planet Catfish.

Does not look like a common- the nose on your fish looks wider, more rounded.

Could the frog have died first, then been eaten?

Some Plecos (and other sucking fish like the CAE) will suck on the sides of large fish like Angels and Discus to eat the slime coat. I am not sure which will or won't do this, but I have heard of Commons (lots of posts), Otos (1 post) and CAE (lots of posts).

What size is your fish?
Does it eat wood? Vegetables? Carnivore wafers or pellets (such as shrimp pellets)?
Interesting, I had heard of oto doing this but not pleco. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
How long have you had him? How long is he? Has he grown since you got him? Where did you buy him and how much did he cost?
I have kept clown plecos with ADFs and they got along well. I would also trust a BN and a rubberlip pleco with ADFs.
Shed skins of ADFs look like shed snake skins. But most of the time the skin comes of in pieces. Count you ADFs. Chances are you still have all of them. If a pleco where to eat a frog he would do so rasping on the outside to get to the inside. I don't know how he would get the inside and leave the outside intact.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought him at a local fish store down the street, I want to say I spent around $20 for him, but can't remember the name of it. He's grown quite a bit since I got him, and I suspect he is eating the drift wood in the tank because I have had him for about two years now, and never once gave him any sort of algae wafer. Every now and then he likes to pop his head out when I am feeding my cory cats. Managed to get another pic of him!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure what type of plec it is, but how do you get your gravel & decorations to stay on the side of the tank like that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.