The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i just came from my lfs and saw a plant that floats at the top of the water and it looks like some kind of mini water lilly or water lettuce. it has small round petals and black hair like roots that just hang underneath them. its all green.

i wanted to purchase something like this does anyone know where to get it?

thank you

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
It sounds like Water Hyacinth(Eichhoria crassipes) If it has "hair" on the leafs then it could be Water Lettuce(Pistia Stratiotes). Normally I only see them in the summer time as most folks(like myself) use them in ponds. I might have some still living in my pond if you want it. Hyacin that is.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
lol After reading your description again, duckweed does sound more like it.... The Water lettuce comment made me think of Hyacinth

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Black roots?

Black roots are usually dead roots (or covered in algae)... healthy roots are white/yellow in color on every floating plant I can think of...
Normally all of my Hyacin have darker roots. That might be do to algea. I didn't even think of that. Here is a pic of some of the roots. They do look blackish...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
hello, i just came from my lfs and saw a plant that floats at the top of the water and it looks like some kind of mini water lilly or water lettuce. it has small round petals and black hair like roots that just hang underneath them. its all green.

i wanted to purchase something like this does anyone know where to get it?

thank you
If you saw it at your LFS why didn't you buy it there?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.