The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm pretty experienced planted tank keeper or so I think, here's my aquarium (a little bit of a mess)

My Aquarium by Raymond Wong, on Flickr

In my 10 gallon sulawesi tank I'm trying to grow some algae, specifically thread algae and some green dust algae for the shrimp to graze on.

It's worked in my other 10 gallon tank but in my new 10 gallon. It's been cycled, aged water, aged filter media etc etc.

I tried to turn on the lights for 24/7 for a few days, not much luck, I tried dosing more kno3 and trace and phosphorus on a few different days, no signs of algae, checked the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia, seems to be in check.

Any advice?

Here are some photos of my sulawesi shrimp in my other aquarium, there's a little bit of algae in that tank but not enough.

Caridina dennerli, by Raymond Wong, on Flickr

Sulawesi Harlequin - Day 0 by Raymond Wong, on Flickr

·
Registered
207 Posts
I got plenty of green fuzz algae in my tank and newly acquired thread algae from a new plant. LOL
I take a algae covered plant out and put it in my RCS tank and they clean it off in no time. Then I put the plant back in the fish tank. I dont do it with rooted ones though. I'm amazed they can clean the leaves better than I can.
Anyway, I hope you grow algae if that is what you want and hope I dont. LOL

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I have 2 minnows in my tank let me add a few more from my 120. Oh that's a great advice about the algae covered plants
Unfortunately there isn't too much algae except for green spot or green dust on my glass which I can move to my 10 gallon heh

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
There are some threads about growing algae on rocks in a rotating stock for feeding shrimp and oto. Takes a few weeks and you rotate them in and out as you feed that way you always have some available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.