The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the poor photo quality... in my school of Kubotai Rasbora one of the fish seems to be bloated. It's only this one. I thought at first it was just a female with eggs. Now I'm second guessing that. It doesn't seem to be in distress. Swims fine, not gasping. Is this normal or do we have a problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you feed? I recently fed my danios live brine shrimp, they gorged themselves and all ended up looking like that within minutes, it went away the next day?
Other than that idk what it could be, since you said the other fish are fine, how long have you had them?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you feed? I recently fed my danios live brine shrimp, they gorged themselves and all ended up looking like that within minutes, it went away the next day?
Other than that idk what it could be, since you said the other fish are fine, how long have you had them?
I have made a mix of a variety of pellet/flake foods and feed that (TetraMin, Aqueon Pro, Zoo Med Spirulina, Hikari micro). Once a week I put in one of the tubiflex freeze dried worm cubes from Omega. The fish has been this way for a while now. Over a week- thats why I really thought it was just a female with eggs. This is week 3 in the main tank after 3 weeks in QT. No one else is showing any issues- and there's 15 Cardinals, 12 other Rasbora's, the BN pleco, 3 Kuhli loach, 5 shrimp and snails

·
Banned
35 Planted Aquariums
37 Posts
The fish does appear to have some (~2) white spots inside in its tail vs the other fish so it could be this fish has a weaker immune system and other issues. No possible way to tell if it has internal parasites or possibly even some type of internal organ defect with edema beginning with just that picture but those are probably the most likely possibilities outside of holding eggs or overeating. If its internal parasites and she's just the weakest link - its possible to catch / prevent that with some type of medicated fish flake with 1% Metronidazole. Best to make sure the tank is nice and clean - water quality isnt an issue & be super careful about what type of live foods are fed, if any. Ive had issues with every type of live food from time to time except for home hatched brine shrimp.

Reactions: Griznatch

·
Registered
78 Posts
Microrasbora kubotai has a heavier build than many Rasborines. They spawn fairly constantly in captivity and gravid females are common. If back-lit, the females can usually exhibit egg masses through the body wall. These little fish are real gluttons w/ foods they like and females which have gorged on food can easily look like this. The other kubotai in your photos also appear to have been heavily fed. They appear to be in good condition. To be well nourished doesn't mean our fish should feed to satiation daily. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have kubotais and as mjwgh2 said they can be gluttons. Hopefully yours is just gravid and just eats more than her fair share. I have found the freeze dried tubifex is better to feed if you let it re-hydrate before feeding. Greedy fish can eat a lot of it and it swells up. I've had guppies almost kill themselves eating that stuff so I use it sparingly.

Reactions: Carlos2711

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys. Ok so she may just be a bit of a thicker girl LOL. I agree that they are gluttons! They certainly go after everything and fast. I'll see if I can maybe cut down the food just a bit. And I will definitely try rehydrating the tubifex next time. Thank you all for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
The fish does appear to have some (~2) white spots inside in its tail vs the other fish so it could be this fish has a weaker immune system and other issues. No possible way to tell if it has internal parasites or possibly even some type of internal organ defect with edema beginning with just that picture but those are probably the most likely possibilities outside of holding eggs or overeating. If its internal parasites and she's just the weakest link - its possible to catch / prevent that with some type of medicated fish flake with 1% Metronidazole. Best to make sure the tank is nice and clean - water quality isnt an issue & be super careful about what type of live foods are fed, if any. Ive had issues with every type of live food from time to time except for home hatched brine shrimp.
I must need a new computer monitor. I can only see a tail in the last pic and it's blurred.

·
Banned
35 Planted Aquariums
37 Posts
If you look at the top 2 pictures - you can see them just off of the spinal cord inside the tail section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.