The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My daughter and I, she's 8 so more me, started a planted tank. Deal was she would keep fish alive I will keep plants alive. So the father daughter hobby. I will skip the disaster with the death of the Betta, but I have developed an issue with the plants. We have Amazon Sword, Anubias Nana, Aponogeton, Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Cryptocoryne parva mini, and Echinodorus Tenellus. I have been changing 4 gallons of water in our 10 gallon aquarium weekly. Use 2 gallons of water from private well and 3 gallons of distilled water. We add Fritz Guard and Fritz Trace per directions. Previously I had been unable to remove waste from aquarium due to the small tank volume. Recently I rigged up a powerhead to use as a vacuum and now most of the visible waste is being removed. I have noticed that the plants, mainly Amazon Sword are turning yellow with the veins of the plant remaining green for now. The Amazon Sword was doing well enough that one of them has a flower stem emerging from the water. Anubias are beginning to show yellow change. Have the Tidal 35 HOB with just Matrix. I have zero nitrites and zero nitrates by a test strip. CO2 level is adjusted to lower pH to 6.8 from 7.5 with dkH of 6.832. We initially had an major algae problem but it has been removed and have Otocinclus in the tank. I have not noticed any "major" regrowth. We are using the Aqueon clip on LED light. All but one cluster of the Echinodorus Tenellus has melted away and died. The Cryptocoryne we ordered are still alive but show only signs of very slow growth especially the Parva mini. The Wendtii has small new leaves that are not as dark green. Here are photos.
20210218_173805.jpg

We treated tank with Maracyn Oxy and E-Mycin and General Cure after introducing the Harlequin Rasbora (6 now 5) and Otocinclus (3). This is our only tank so didn't quarantine so Betta got something and dies. So looking for help as to cause and solution(s)

Sorry, forgot placed Seachem Flourish tabs and planting of Amazon Sword in December. Placed Tropica Capsules a week ago. Use Tropica orange and added Tropica Green. I was using 1.5ml a day.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looks to me like either Iron or Magnesium deficiency, maybe phosphorus. Most well-rounded fertilizer tabs should help regardless.

If you just added capsules, I'd watch for new growth to see if it looks better. Meanwhile, trim off the worst looking leaves so the plants can put energy into new growth.

·
Registered
440 Posts
How old is the tank?

I never had much luck with the test strips and had to finally break down and get one of the API test kits with the test tubes before I got readings that I had confidence in. Have you tested the Ammonia levels in the tank? Zero Nitrites and Zero Nitrates does not sound like your plants are getting much nitrogen???

We (My daughter and I) are also on well water. We use 100% well water for our water changes and this has worked out very well in our tanks. Of course that doesn't mean anything for your well water.

In reading through your explanation I kind of question if you have enough light? Do you ever get any pearling from the plants? My plants seem to pearl the heaviest right after significant water changes. Being on well water I assume that we are introducing significant amounts of minerals when we do big water changes. I wonder if distilled water is too pure to supply proper nutrients to your plants? I have found that pretty much any light source of decent power will help boost plant growth. Right now my daughter an I are using LED shop lights that will go into the shop when I finish our DIY LED light source.

With my father / daughter co-op working together means that I do the work and she takes the credit. LOL! :) She does know WAY more about Plants, Fish and even how to do water tests than her peers! Lots of great things to learn from aquariums!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies!

"With my father / daughter coop working together means that I do the work and she takes the credit. LOL! :)"

I know right...

We have really hard water in Indiana so since I am using CO2 I wanted to tweak the dkH to around 7-8. I am now since I rigged up the powerhead doing only 2 gallon water change instead of 4 gallons. But I have only done that volume once last Thursday. This should help raising the nitrate level. I am going to order a Hanna tester. Tank has been set up since second week of December, CO2 was started first week of January. Since I am planning on the 60 gallon next step after plants stabilize is to add a Kessil Tuna Sun, should get a lot of longevity out of that as tanks change. It takes so long for plants to grow and show signs, so will progress slowly.

How old is the tank?

I never had much luck with the test strips and had to finally break down and get one of the API test kits with the test tubes before I got readings that I had confidence in. Have you tested the Ammonia levels in the tank? Zero Nitrites and Zero Nitrates does not sound like your plants are getting much nitrogen???

We (My daughter and I) are also on well water. We use 100% well water for our water changes and this has worked out very well in our tanks. Of course that doesn't mean anything for your well water.

In reading through your explanation I kind of question if you have enough light? Do you ever get any pearling from the plants? My plants seem to pearl the heaviest right after significant water changes. Being on well water I assume that we are introducing significant amounts of minerals when we do big water changes. I wonder if distilled water is too pure to supply proper nutrients to your plants? I have found that pretty much any light source of decent power will help boost plant growth. Right now my daughter an I are using LED shop lights that will go into the shop when I finish our DIY LED light source.

With my father / daughter co-op working together means that I do the work and she takes the credit. LOL! :) She does know WAY more about Plants, Fish and even how to do water tests than her peers! Lots of great things to learn from aquariums!
Yes we get pearling on the plants. Initially I thought it was accumulation of bubbles from the CO2 since was on edges and underneath the leaves. The Cryptocoryne has never pearled. Something wasn't right and probably still isn't since the Tenellus hasn't done well. The only bunch left is the one in the picture after having a whole tissue culture. Since we live in a rural area, it has been suggested that our well water can have trace amount of herbicides. So I plan on using distilled water with Fritz Guard and Trace along with Seachem Alkaline buffer, at least till late summer to see if things improve with the Crypts. We have an under-counter RO for drinking water, but its too small to make water for the water changes.

I am thinking of converting the 60g 24" cube into a drop off tank. Maybe 2/3 raised 7 inches. Water level 5-7 from rim to have emerged plants at the back.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like a good plan! I recommend changing one thing at a time so you can track what helps and what doesn't... but it sounds like you are already doing this. Good luck, please keep us updated on how it goes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I cleaned the tank this time I soaked my CO2 diffuser in 50/50 bleach gave it a scrub and after a thorough Prime rinse, I'm getting more bubbles. This may have been a reason for my yellowing?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to provide an update on how the Anubias looks. New leaf should it be darker than this?

Leaves always have pearling. New Amazon sword leaves look o.k.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
New leaves on anubias for me always start out a lighter green, as they age they grow darker.
Thanks I'll keep an eye on them. Slow growth takes a long time to see mistakes.

The new leaves on Amazon Sword, are staying green so I'll keep up current regimen:

·Tropica orange 2 pumps after water change
·Tropics green 2 pumps after water change
·1ml orange daily
·1ml green every other day

I do think I need to go to a canister, HOB may not be getting adequate flow in lower 1/3 of water column?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do think I need to go to a canister, HOB may not be getting adequate flow in lower 1/3 of water column?
HOB’s really are not great for larger tanks or planted tanks in general because of the way water is returned to the tank. Flow becomes a big issue as it cannot be aimed or adjusted.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I'll probably order glass outflow and inflow pipes this week in anticipation of getting canister.

I will probably also have to get a test kit to figure out what I am lacking/excess since Aponogeton leaves grow fine until the are full size then melt like photo.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update, anubias is growing great, Amazon sword is growing great, crypts are also growing well. Now the Oticinclus are on holiday. Algae growing all over leaves and they aren't swimming around anymore, always in back corner.

Only have three, don't have a way to quarantine but may have to rig something up and get some more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts