The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm deciding between these two lights (but please recommend other lights if you think I'd like them)

Amazon.com : Current USA 24"-36" Satellite Plus PRO LED Light : Pet Supplies

I have a 20 long tank w/ co2. I have the following plants:

Tonina lotus bloss
hydrothrix
stauro repens
Blyxa
Rotala mini butterfly
and some other easy plants

So the 20 long is 30" long and ~12" deep. I want the current and the higher lighting, but it's not 30" long. I have some of my more difficult to grow plants on the far sides of the tank, so I'm worried they won't really benefit.

As far as the 24/7, I'm worried it won't be enough light. I'd like to not have to worry about what plants I buy when it comes to how much light I have.

Besides those two, I want an LED light with a thin profile.

What do you guys and gals think?

Bump: Also, these companies need to shorten the names of their products, lol!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, I'm pretty certain you won't like 24" fixture on the 30" tank. However I like the current better just judging by its output and color ( I have only the plus model though).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Current Sat LED Plus on my 20g long. Its not the pro so it has less light output and im not very happy with its coverage from front to back of tank when its centered over the tank. It does fine covering from left to right though. As far as 24" over 30", I don't mind it. Like i said it covers left to right just fine so im sure the pro will do great on it.

I built my own LED light to cover the back of my tank. The Current by it self does fine for most stem plants. Didn't work for dwarf hair grass though, even with co2. Pro should do fine with any plants because it'll have a higher par at the substrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do you mean from just an aesthetic perspective? Or because the plants on the edge won't get enough light?
For me it would be both. The light will reach the edges of the tank, but it sounds like you're looking for high light all over. You may find that with the 24" fixture raised very slightly, like just an inch or 2, it gets the coverage you want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a current +. I just got the + pro. world of difference. I really like the pro a lot. Plenty of light on a 90 gallon. 24" high.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just started a 20L with the +pro. I thought the 24" length might limit me on plant placement, but the tank appears evenly lit from left to right (less so from front to back). I can't center it because of the glass cover.
I use two of the 36" +pro lights on a 40B because of the depth of the tank and it looks great. I use the 18" +pro on a 10G. I never run these lights at full strength since my tanks are low tech, but the 10G gets the most algae. I do wonder whether it has to do with the height of the light from the substrate. The 10G is the same height as the 20L, so I also have a 29g as a spare to swap in if that distance proves to be an issue. I'm obviously happy with this fixture since I have four of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts