The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's about time that I invest in an ro unit. Between my carnivorous plants and 2g shrimp tank I buy an excessive amount of gallon jugs of ro water from Walmart. Today alone I emptied 5 gallons into water trays. I will also need it in the future when I act on my plans to set up a reef tank. Whenever that may be. I've failed to act on them like 4 times now haha.

So I was looking at the bulk reef supply units after hearing a lot of good things about them. Only problem, they have what seems to be an excessive amount of options as well as a build your own option and I can't really tell the difference between them. I want to try to budget it around $200 max, but I want to get something that will do the job efficiently and last so if I need to go over a bit I may be willing to. So can anyone make some recommendations for me? Any other info I would need to provide to assist in doing so? I tested several faucets this morning and got TDS readings between 55-75. I've seen as high as 85 in the past but I don't exactly test often. The tap I'd most likely be using was at 72.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-systems.html

I posted this thread on another forum and had the 4 stage value plus or 5 stage plus recommended to me. My TDS isn't too high so they said the 4 stage should be fine. I always like more opinions though. Plus I may be moving in the near future and while the water comes from the same distribution system I assume the TDS can still vary and I don't know what it will be.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok since you are wanting to setup a reef tank it is simple get a 5 stage RO/DI filter. You do not need to install the DI for your shrimp or plants but it is a must when it comes to reef tanks.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-5-stage-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd.html

This one will be at your budget and will do everything you need. Just run a splitter from the RO unit to the DI unit so you can tap in to water before it goes thru the DI. If you have any questions let me know more then happy to help with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.