The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank is almost 4 months old, I have 29 gallon with 60 lbs of sand substrate. I am getting a lot of plant melt with staghorn algae and BBA. I have Nicrew light on for 9 hours and I alternate 1 capful of Seachem Fluorish with 2caps of Seachem potassium one day and the other is 1 cap of seachem Iron and 2 caps of Fluorish trace. I use lots of seachem root tabs every 90 days. I have zero ammonia and nitrite and about 10 to 20 ppm of Nitrate. And I also dose seachem excel about 2-3 caps everyday. My BBA is everywhere and I'm squirting excel directly on BBA to manage it. But my biggest stress is the plant melt. How to prevent and stop it. Complete newbie here asking for help. I have 2 ottos, 1 nitrite snail, 6 rasboras, 2 male guppies, 2 guppy fry, 2 sunset gourami, 10 amano shrimp, 6rcs, 6blue velvet shrimp, and about 20 shrimp babies. I also do 50% water changes weekly.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey friend, i am newer in this field, but have about 2 years of experience dealing with live plants. My first thought is the amount of excel you are dosing. Excel is known to cause plants to melt, as it contains an inorganic compound that may be toxic to some plants. I've also heard too you can build immunity by slowly introducing the plants to excel and working up from there. It sounds like you are using too much, so i would first try to slow down on that. Also, the plants that are melting look like carpeting plants? I have never had luck with those as many need high co2. Some dont require it, but if other needs arent met then they wont grow without it. One more point is your lighting. 9 hours may be just too much. I would suggest bringing it down to 6-7 hours and going from there. Does your tank get any indirect sunlight?
So for fighting BBA: lower your light hours, and if you are seriously interested, look into injecting co2 (i personally dont, but i only have nano setups right now), also you have a good cleanup crew, but not sure if they will touch BBA. i heard nerites do, but mine never did. I had BBA and was able to get rid of it by doing more frequent water changes with larger amount of water being changed, and also i lowered the lights by a few hours and made sure to keep my blinds drawn so light wouldnt get in.
For your plant melt, if its just the carpeting plants, i would suggest it is lack of co2. It sounds like you have plenty of ferts, if not too many since you also have a high bio-load from your livestock, so i would also consider lowering the amount of root-tabs you are using too. I mistakinly thought a plant was dying due to not enough nutes so instead of the usual one root-tab, i planted two near it which ended up killing it quicker.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
292 Posts
I echo the statement about dosing too much Excel. For a 29 gal., 5 mL (1 capful) is 2x the recommended dose, and any more than that is likely to damage your plants.
I don't know anything about your light, but it'd be good to figure out if you actually need all those micronutrients you are adding. Flourish and Potassium may be giving you all you need (especially with root tabs), and the extra iron and trace may very well be feeding your algae. To be adding all those micros, without Nitrogen and Phos, it seems like things would be off balance.
And if your light is considered "high intensity", considering reducing the photo-period, or break it up with a rest in between (e.g., 4 hours of light, a 2-hour rest, then 4 hours of light).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts