The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20210314_190819.jpg
So this is my first time ever raising baby fry. I'm looking for any advice to help these guys make it. The picture above is my setup for them. I have made slight changes since the picture. I have dug the dishes in to the sand to make it easier for the fry to get to food. The bowl on right had food for snails which most are hiding now due to fry being curious and bothering them.

I have been feeding them a mixture of half crushed micro pellets and half uncrushed with some first bite food from Hikari. I do my best to take out old food and clean substrate up and been feeding them about 3 to 4 times. I was nervous about over feeding but when food is placed. Some will go into feeding mode and others won't. They don't just sit in bowls and eat all day so not sure if I should just leave food in there because of that? At same time I can't watch them 24/7 so they could all be eating when I'm not looking too.

Tank has all needed stuff like heater, bubbler, Filter with sponge, and lights. Tank is also a cycled tank so no concern there. It was going to be a home for a dwarf crayfish, but luckily I didn't get one so these guys have a temporary home now. I've been testing the water and doing more water changes since the tank is only 10 gallons. Not sure if i need to do daily water changes or every other day. So far the water was changed before they were placed and then the next day.

I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong or should be adding or supplementing anything or maybe I'm fine. No idea. They all seem very active at all times messing with everything so I feel as though they are okay but since they can't talk it's hard to know.

So any advice? I have Google like crazy but honestly most sites are super generic with info.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If they're eating & growing you're doing the right thing. All fry do better when they're fed BBs (live or frozen), & since they're mollies I'd offer them crushed veggie flakes.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think you've got it covered. Molly fry are easy to rear. As already mentioned, make sure to offer them veggies if there isn't substantial biofilm/ algae for them to pick on so they don't get constipated. No special water change regimes are necessary. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You're good. If you really want a boost in growth, try feeding baby brine shrimp. They grow really quickly on that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts