The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts? The stump is a stainless-screw frankenstein nightmare if you're wondering. I'm assuming the sand/aquasoil barrier is going to be impossible over time...hoping that the driftwood will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have been waiting to see this tank setup since you posted the pictures of the stand in the DIY. I absolutely love your light box that you built around your light. It really finishes the look of the stand. I would have to agree that the rocks look a little out of place but the thing is that this is your tank so you need to do what you think looks good and makes you happy after all you are the one that will see it everyday. Either way get this thing filled up and planted already. J/K

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Could you find enough black rocks or like large grey looking one in the upper left, and just replace the various colored ones. You keep your retention wall but, now it will seem more natural ie. same type of rocks. Also I don't think you want the rocks as your focal point?? They may pull the viewer's eye down from the stump.

One thing I do is take pics. as I go. When I think I got it. I just let the hardscape sit and look at it for few days. Sometimes I see it differently and tweek it...sometimes I know it's right. :wink:

Looking forward to see where you go with it. :icon_smil

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
love that you hid the plumbing, sump or just a canister?
It's a canister plumbed through two holes in the back of the tank. You can see the details on my build thread.

That's it for the hardscape. The tank is all planted now. Pictures on my tank journal. Thanks for all the good advice.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
It's a canister plumbed through two holes in the back of the tank. You can see the details on my build thread.

That's it for the hardscape. The tank is all planted now. Pictures on my tank journal. Thanks for all the good advice.
Take that other piece of wood that you have next to the white sand and wrap with Xmas moss or Flame moss etc, this will make a nice moss contrast with the white sand and the plants you place behind it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1 on plantbrain's suggestion. Having the wood there to artificially create the visual barrier is a bit harsh visually even though it is a natural material. Moss or some low growing plants like Anubias petite will help to soft the transition.

Very nice wood setup though. I like it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I, personally, liked the way it looked with the rocks around the right piece of wood in the first set of pictures. The second set looks good, even without the rocks. Cannot understand how people think that little piece of wood is such a distraction from that huge piece, I do not. I think it not only looks good, but like you said, it is going to help keep everything seperated and will cut back on lots of work and headaches. Good job, now I have to go look at the journal and see how it looks planted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.