The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking for a good streamlined light for a 10gallon tank. would like it to be 3wpg. anyone seen any good LED fixtures or compact flourescent ones? i'd like to suspend it or have one that clips on the back if possible...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmmm idk about LED or back clip but you could by a T5 HO and suspend it yourself. I seen a guy bend 3/4 aluminum pipe into a curve like L and use fishing line to hang the light over a rimless and it looked clean and cool. Best luck. When your tanks profile is up Pm me for a private social group. (x_Gal10n_x)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've done the t5ho in the past, and did the conduit. thats too bulky for a 10 gallon tank. afa has an archaea 45cm led light but its 70$ i'd rather spend more like 50$ or less. Can anyone direct me to some DIY leds

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i plan to do a lower light tank with needle leaf jf, nana petites, and ahhh the name of the grassy plant eludes me, but it is a little rarer and med-high light. you think the 30cm archaea would work?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
That reminds me of waterlogged's 10 gallon. He used a LED flood light. I am using the same light over a 29 gallon temporarily. I simply put a screw in the wall and anchored on it. For it has a handle with 3 holes. The flood lights that are the brightest seem to be the 1s from LED wholesaler. The is $30.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If you want to do leds I would keep is simple. I think this would work well:
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-59/12-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail

You could use this heatsink: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-168/5.9%22-x-16%22-Aluminum/Detail

The one above would be ideal, but this will work as well: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-168/5.9%22-x-16%22-Aluminum/Detail

If you want to use screw to attach the leds, get the drilled and tapped sink instead and order the thermal paste. If you want to skip the screws and tapped sink, get the thermal adhesive.

I would do two rows of 6 leds spaces about 2.5-3 inches apart from center. That will provide too much light, but you need the coverage or there will be dim spots in the tank. You can add optics to prevent spill a little, but I'd use wide ones. Probably 60 or 80 degree optics. You'll have to dim down the meanwell quite a bit to get to a proper light level, so make sure you don't get the constant current kit. Get the D type driver if you aren't using a controller. If you wanna do sunrise/sunset, get the P versions and the controller rapidled, ledgroupbuy.com or O2Surplus has.

You could also get your stuff from LEDgroupbuy.com. You can get this controller: http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/dim4-4-port-led-sunrise-sunset-controller-v1-0/

It can self power the 12 LEDs you need at 500mA. With the 60 degree optics you should be golden. Get yourself 12 XPG LEDs, and you get sunrise, sunset and the whole deal for ~$230

I think for your setup, rapid might be the best bet. They have a better heatsink and the kit is simple and off the shelf.

You should be able to have a nice simple light for ~$140.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you want some powerful lighting for a 10 gal for cheap, just swing by Petsmart and pick up the $32 Marineland LED light. I used a $7 petco coupon from slickdeals cuz petsmart takes competitor coupons, so it was $25+tax. I put it on a $3 timer from walmart so it runs like 7 hours/night.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no, not micro swords, i saw it just ther other day, and any other day i'd remember. its similar to valasnera.

for lighting, i think i may order one of the spotlights, and do some rigging...

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
for lighting, i think i may order one of the spotlights, and do some rigging...
I have the flood light waterlogged has over is 10 gallon over my 29 gallon tank. Is 24in above the tank. The light is spreading 6 ft forward but only on the ceiling. Perhaps this is because the tank is 6in from the wall and the light angle outward. Thus going to build a canopy over it. The light on the bottom seems little less than when I had coralife T5HO and a T8 but it has a wide spread. Thus it keeps the tank a low tech one. It gives a very natural look, thus want to keep it over the 29g

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
If you want some powerful lighting for a 10 gal for cheap, just swing by Petsmart and pick up the $32 Marineland LED light. I used a $7 petco coupon from slickdeals cuz petsmart takes competitor coupons, so it was $25+tax
Which I had seen that one. What is the depth of that tank you have it over?

I don't see how you got it that cheap. Searched the slickdeals site and Petco.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
anyone seen the ecoxotic website, i think 2 of their LED fixtures would be AWESOME!
You would have to inject Co2 if you used 1.

How about this a T5NO with 10,000k bulb? See it at Pet blvd for $21.57. Called the company and was told it is a HO bulb thus would need to suspend it. Thinking 18 inches from the substrate would work.

Ive got a single T5HO 24W strip above a 10g
It is hanging above the tank? How far above the substrate?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.