The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have extensive experience using Praziquantel treating flukes?

I'm into the second week of Praziquantel treatment for flukes in my both planted tank and BB discus tank. Fish are showing symptoms of flukes (scratching, flashing, rapid breathing with one side of gill plate closed) sometimes during treatment.

Did Praziquantel work for you in treating flukes?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have never been able to keep the concentration of Praziquantel high enough, long enough to completely wipe out egg laying flukes....live bearers you can make it work easier by using it to paralyze the flukes, knock them off the fish..and then move the fish to a clean container....like ich....it can work well on egg layers if you do it that same way, over several days

Flubendazole works a lot better for me....

http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never been able to keep the concentration of Praziquantel high enough, long enough to completely wipe out egg laying flukes....live bearers you can make it work easier by using it to paralyze the flukes, knock them off the fish..and then move the fish to a clean container....like ich....it can work well on egg layers if you do it that same way, over several days

Flubendazole works a lot better for me....

http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html
Thanks Corrie. I've sent a request to that seller. Hopefully I can hear back from him soon.

What dosage of Praziquantel did you use?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pure Prazi is very safe....I've tried it up to four times the prescribed dosage

Prazi is not designed to kill...it immobilizes the flukes
The trick is to keep the concentration high enough, long enough, to keep them immobilized until they die

That's why one dose works internal...and it takes days for external

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pure Prazi is very safe....I've tried it up to four times the prescribed dosage

Prazi is not designed to kill...it immobilizes the flukes
The trick is to keep the concentration high enough, long enough, to keep them immobilized until they die

That's why one dose works internal...and it takes days for external
I was advised by the expert at SD and have been following dosing 8mg of Praziquantel per one gallon water. I probably overdosed it anyway because I didn't use the gram scale at every dosing. Also a 75G planted tank doesn't contain 75G of water (more like 55g I think). So I need to continue with this dosing for another two weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.