The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a 250 Metal halide off of Craigslist. The fan was busted.

I went to Radio Shack and bought a fan... its so LOUD (yes I used cap locks! Its that LOUD).

Any suggestions? I need a 4" fan.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Yeah, ball-bearing computer fans are where it's at for silence. Don't get the sleeve-bearing fans, they are much louder. Also, you want the 120mm ones. That equals 4 inches.

Of course, you will need to power these fans up, and they require DC, so your options are to hotwire an old computer power supply you have laying around and plug the fan in using the normal Molex connector...

Or, and this is what I recommend for a cleaner look, you can splice the fan's wires into an old cell-phone charger. Just make sure that the amperage and voltage of the charger are somewhat in the vicinity of what the fan needs.

Google is your friend on this one. There are TONS of how-to's on powering computer fans with cell phone chargers.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for you responses...

This is what I bought.... UGH!
I cannot post the link (new member needs 5 posts to paste a web address)
If you Google radio shack fan - the first link that comes up is exactly what I bought

So, i should return this and get the fan off newegg? or is it the same?

Again thanks for chiming in! i am so excited too start my planed tank!!!!

I hotwired this in, so I am cool as far as power supply.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
No they are NOT the same, and YES you should return that piece of $&@#! Those are garbage fans, and they sound like a freaking leaf blower!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts