The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I gave away all my previous fish my LFS told me would go in my tank but was really an overload which was caught before any damage could be done thanks to everyone here. So what I need now is everyone's on a few more fish for my tank. 20 gallon fully planted with Java Fern Anubis and Cryptocoryne Balansae.

I currently have:

6 Neon Tetras
1 Half Moon Betta

My thoughts and there not set in stone.

I was thinking of adding a female betta just for something interesting and the possibility of mating.
I definitely would like some form of an algae eater more of a sucker fish but would prefer it not to get to large.
Also can I keep shrimp with these fish or when people have shrimp in their tank is it only shrimp.

Please all thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I do not think you can keep a male and female Beta together except when they are mating.

As far as Algae eaters, look at getting 3-5 Otocinclus. They are excellent Algae eaters as long as your tank is mature. They are known for a high death rate in newer tanks. They stay small at 1.5" max.

Yes you can keep shrimp with these. Some ghost shrimp or maybe some other type of small non-aggressive shrimp would be a good clean up crew.

You could also add a small group of Cory's if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I would add a few Oto cats. 2 or 3 maybe. The shrimp should be fine with those fish. I'm not sure about the Betta. I have only ever kept them by themselves. I wouldn't add too many more fish to your tank though. I have always heard, 1" of fish per gallon of water. I would think that a planted tank could handle more of a bio load though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok will nix the female Betta idea. What else can be added that are more mid level swimmers than Cory's all the ones I have seen stay on or near the bottom of a tank and my ground is pretty covered so I might not see them that much.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh my tank is well planted and my filter system is meant for an 75 gallon tank my water parameters were next to perfect even when I was over loaded for 2 months with a Mono, Spotted Puffer, Firemouth, White Convict, Black Convict, 2 Pictus Cats and 2 Chinese Algae eaters. I really want fish that stand out.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd get more Neons. The more tetras you have in a school, the braver they are and the more they'll be out and about.

Is the Betta OK with the other fish so far? Some are, some aren't...

If the Betta is OK with the fish, you might also add some Amano shrimp. They're great algae eaters and overall scavengers all in one. Smaller shrimp are likely to get eaten, though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I dont know how well a female betta would go in a 20 gallon--may not be enough space for them to keep from fighting. Im not an expert by any means though so dont take my word for it. Heck, I had a Rainbow Shark in a 10 gallon tank for a while.

edit :

shoot, I answered a phone call and several people posted answers-makes me look like a goof because I repeated about the betta-lol. I woulda been first--honest :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeh the Betta has been really good for the past two days hasn't even nipped at any of the tetras. As for the tetras they school right in the middle of the tank none of them hide. I've been really lucky with this tank even with the overload.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I would stay off the female betta too. You can add some bamboo shrimp if you want a larger shrimp they are filter feeders so no issue with them eating neons. Other fish options would include rams if you get bamboo shrimp, they will eat neocardinia species. Normans lampeye killis, forktail rainbows threadfin rainbows endlers guppy, rummynose cory cats

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
As far as safe for your other, sure. I think they like more of a brackish water like other livebearers. Don't quote me though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeh the Betta has been really good for the past two days hasn't even nipped at any of the tetras.
I've had tetra's (including long-fin's) and rainbows for years and always keep a Beta in the tank (he keeps the snail population at Zero). Nobody bothers anybody.

I've also (at times) kept a female also with no problems.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Long time ago I kept a pair of bettas in a community tank, 20 gal. If it is heavily planted and the females has plenty of spaces to run and hide they will be fine, but just don´t expect to see her very often. Some male bettas are not as aggressive and they could just flare at the female and let it be, others will chase it all the time.

The neons tend to swim mostly close to the bottom / mid of the tank, maybe you can get a small group of hatchetfish for the top (just keep it with a lid - they jump)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.