The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I bought 2lb KNO3, 1/2lb KH2PO4, and 1/2lb CSM+B to fertilize my 10 gallon low tech dirted tank (soil still has ferts in it, MGOCPM, running for a couple of months).

I was so impressed at the response I got from the plants with the soil that I thought I would do EI and give them a little more of everything they need than they can use. I don't think it can hurt.

So I'm looking for recommendations for dosing the above ferts in a 10 gallon low tech MGOCPM tank (btw I only have 1" of soil). I am already dosing Seachem Equilibrium and Flourish Comprehensive, plus K2SO4. I'll discontinue the latter two when I start dosing EI.

I suppose I could use the petalphile.com calculator - the ratios are always the same, I think. I just wanted to get the numbers from real people.

Thank you.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would not change anything on your dosing until you notice some issues with the plants. With a low tech setup, it will be very easy to overdose because the plants will not be taking that much nutrients.

I suggest you keep dosing what you are dosing now and give it a week or 2 then do incremental adjustments to the dose.

The last thing you want is introducing an algae bloom because of too much nutrients.

Although if you will do weekly water changes then you can surely push the dosing since the water change at the end of the week will reset the nutrient levels.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm afraid of algae blooms, but at least I've got my lighting pretty well set now.

I'm not really dosing regular dry ferts now, but I just got the ferts so I can start. I'm dosing a GH booster, micronutrients, and Potassium at the moment. And I have Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix at the bottom which has ferts. I will discontinue the micros in favor of CSM+B and Potassium in favor of KNO3. And I will continue 50% per week water changes.

I still wonder what percentage of the recommended dose of ferts would it take to stimulate the algae. Is it a large percentage or a small one?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I still wonder what percentage of the recommended dose of ferts would it take to stimulate the algae. Is it a large percentage or a small one?
Fish alone can provide algae ALL they need to grow.

6. Algae are not nutrient limited in aquariums with fish and plants. Argue this all you want, but you need to research and see what types of nutrient levels will limit algae. They are extremely low and any fish waste and plant decay, leaching etc is more than enough to supply algae with all they need.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/4882-Confusion-about-EI-and-other-myths
Healthy plant growth is the best way to keep algae at bay:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts