The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys

Im new to planted aquariums and i tried to scape this tank to the best of my ability but i know it can still do with some improvement. The white rocks are there to hold the christmas moss down. They will be removed after they serve their purpose. The smaller white fragments are coral to raise the pH ill put them in the back somewhere.
As you can see ive made the focal point the riccia carpet. The HM is covering the carpet however. I will need to move them elsewhere but there is no space left =p

Please feel free to criticise and give free opinions on how to improve my scape.

Cheers

Core layout of driftwood

and after planting

any way to make these pics smaller? =p

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
It look pretty good! The only thing I would change is the equipment; get it out of sight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Elliot.
I will be removing the internal filter soon. The heater will be difficult to remove from sight. Could I lay it horizontally along the bottom? The white cloth covering the intake will be changed to a green one soon too

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks to Elliot's advice I have done the following.
1. Changed the filter intake cover to green and made it less visible
2. Moved the pipes and made them less visible.
3. Moved the heater towards the bottom behind the driftwood so that it is not as distracting.
4. Removed the stones.
5. Removed the netting from the Riccia exposing the carpet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Doncityz
The stem plants have been planted in the background and are in the process
of growing over the black background. Ill post another pic when the water clears up. its a bit cloudy from all the moving around ive done
Mostly baby tears and the unidentified red stem plant (if anyone could tell me what it is ill be grateful).
There must be things i can further improve =p
Is there too much moss on top of the dwood?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd remove the big stone in the front left, it kind of distracts the eye to it. That way the wood will be more the focal point.
Don't use too much plant species. Less is more. A good rule is one species per 4 inch of tank width.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Looks good! I can't wait to see the plants fill in!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Someone else mentioned that you should remove the stones in the bottom left but I actually like them. Always good to have a set up that makes you look around (like any piece of art). With the stones it makes you look at those to the wood and then down to the carpet (especially once it fills in).

I also agree that less species of plants would be better, but on a positive note I do enjoy the variety of color.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

In reply to the question about the stocking. I've got 2x siamese algae eaters 1x pleco 8x CRShrimp and 2x Borneo suckers. They looove that stone.

Thanks Ms Corycat. I might just leave that stone in then. I'm gonna remove some plants as I agree I have too many spp

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive made a few little adjustments.
1. Removed excess moss from driftwood
2. Removed the HM from front of Riccia
3. Cleaned up plants a bit.
4. Removed coral from the gravel.

Ive also noticed some greenspot algae forming on the glass.
Hopefully dosing with excel and reducing the light wil lmake it go away

Im planning on reducing my number of species of plants but its a hard decision on what to remove. Maybe the Baby tears? What do you think? Any other recommended changes?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It looks nice so far like the mixture of reds and greens

I think thoughif you keep each species more together to keep the tank from looking too busy, maybe try that before removing any

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It's looking good so far! I am terrible at aquascaping, but I can give you some good advice regarding starting your tank that was hard earned for me. That is, the best thing you can do is start your tank with a HIGH plant density. I would keep your aquascape the way it is, just add way more plants in the back of the same type you already have.
The reason I think this is so important is because nearly every time I started a new tank setup I would have a huge explosion of algae before the plants even got going and it would take a long time before it got under control. I would plant them sparsely, thinking that left plenty of room for them to grow in, but what it really did was left plenty of room for algae to take over before the plants did. Then one day I was looking at a step-by-step of Takashi Amano planting one of his tanks and a lightbulb went off. His initial planting was like ten times more dense than anything I had ever done, especially in the rear of the tank. Instead of waiting months for the plants to reach sufficient density to get the algae under control, he just plants them heavy to start out. So, that is my advice to you. Plant heavily to begin with and algae is MUCH less of a problem.
As far as your aquascape, it already looks great. I wouldn't personally start pulling out plants until it has some time to grow in and you have a better idea how they are working together for appearance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts