The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i set up my new 55G with fluorite... well washing it and letting it dry didnt stop the massive cloudiness.... I have my 2217 from my previous tank and i added new water to the 55. I added chemicals to remove ammonia and added nutrafin cycle to jumpstart the bacteria growth. What should i do with my fish? Currently they are in my old 38, which has about 2/5 water capacity. It has no filter or heater... everything is on my 55. Should i wait for the water to clear or should i move everything into my 55 now? Will my fish be ok?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have my eheim filter from my previous tank, isnt that one of the most important parts to help cycling? I cant really afford to leave my fish in the tank

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
Your fish will be fine if you transfer them to the tank. The cloudiness of the flourite will not hurt them, but it will take a while to clear up (up to a week, if you are unlucky). Adding filter floss may speed up this process.

Using the filter from your previously established tank, you should be able to avoid a cycle.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I have my eheim filter from my previous tank, isnt that one of the most important parts to help cycling? I cant really afford to leave my fish in the tank
That will help greatly. You may have a mini-cycle since you aren't keeping the substrate and it's a new tank, since a lot of the good bacteria adheres to the glass, gravel, and other surfaces. Just keep a close eye on the parameters and feed lightly for a few days and you should be okay. In a pinch, dose up to five times the amount of Prime to lock up ammonia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts