The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Are these real?
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (other) computers boot drive got corrupted, so now I am just getting a BSOD :icon_frow

Not a big deal, I can probably slave it to another one and get the data off it, but...

Does anyone know how to get the network settings off a harddrive. You know, IP address, DNS, all that stuff that you can see in Settings --> Network connections. I did write them down, but recently added a router and things changed around.

:help:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Start -> Run

Type CMD in there and hit enter. That should bring you to the DOS interface. From there, type in "ipconfig /all". That should do it.

Hmm, just reread it and it looks like you're already in DOS. Just do the "ipconfig /all" to pull it up then.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you're getting BSOD at bootup, you can't get the IP and stuff, unless you boot from the HD. If you setup the bad HD as a slave, there's no way to get that info.

But if you originally setup your PC for DHCP, you don't need to worry about it, becuase your router should already pick that up. Otherwise, if it's a static address you need, I'm sure your internet provider can give it to you.

·
Are these real?
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is kicking my behind...

So I figured the harddrive got somehow corrupted, no prob, wipe and reformat, install OS, and in the middle of it I am getting stopped by BSOD again. Repeat, and same thing. Figured the harddrive was bad then.

So I took another drive and tried the same thing, reformat, install OS, getting the same thing! Shoot... should have left the drive intact.

So next steps... pull out all the "unnecessary" cards, additional harddrives, USB peripherals, etc, tried again, same thing, blue screen. Next, dumbed down the BIOS to "failsave". Same thing.

Starting to get interesting, hehe... I guess now I can start to switch all the other components, hoping it is NOT the mobo.

Weird thing that it started all of a sudden.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had something similar with my son's machine a while back. What finally fixed it was removing the large dust bunny I found after taking out the motherboard.

Edit: As hokey as it sounds, I found it because I was looking for something that was shorting (or is it grounding) the motherboard to the case.

·
Are these real?
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ram was one of the first things I checked. Replaced the two sticks with one different one. No joy.

I kept pulling things out until only the bare minimum was left. Then I used a different computer to load the OS onto the harddisk. Connected it to the problem computer and it got stuck while loading Windows, however, no BSOD now. So I figured I should give it another try, re-loaded OS on the problem computer, and all of a sudden it worked!

It's a mystery to me... One thing that could have caused it was a Adaptec USB2.0 card which according to some users was problematic with older computers/BIOSes. Although, it worked flawlessly for a couple of months, so why give up now?

Computers are weird... you never know what to expect, fortunately in the end you always figure it out. Except for that one time when I switched on the computer without attaching the HSF to the CPU first. :eek5:

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Ram was one of the first things I checked. Replaced the two sticks with one different one. No joy.

I kept pulling things out until only the bare minimum was left. Then I used a different computer to load the OS onto the harddisk. Connected it to the problem computer and it got stuck while loading Windows, however, no BSOD now. So I figured I should give it another try, re-loaded OS on the problem computer, and all of a sudden it worked!
The reason for the windows not loading from one pc to another is because of compatibility errors as in different IDE controller, RAID controller and ect. Unless the mother board or disk controller are the exact model and vers. it won't boot correctly. Only good why to transfer from pc to pc is sysprep the current XP pc and create a image or try a repair install on the current hard drive on the PC having problems.

If you run into the BSOD again you can go here to help trouble shoot the problem with the error codes. If it is not listed there let me know I have a few other sites that give BSOD error codes.

But good deal you have got it working again. I run across BSOD weekly it seems at work some I am able to find the problem others throw me for a loop.

·
Are these real?
15,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link, it's bookmarked. Hope I won't need it for a while.

The reason for the windows not loading from one pc to another is because of compatibility errors as in different IDE controller, RAID controller and ect. Unless the mother board or disk controller are the exact model and vers. it won't boot correctly.
You are absolutely right, I did that mostly to see if the drive itself was dying.

Weird thing is, I was just in the process of building myself another computer while this acted up. So I had lots of ways to test things out. That new computer, thrown together from cheap and free parts, worked flawlessly from the start.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I had a "possibly" similar problem on my home PC over the holidays. I was starting to get BSOD every couple of days when I let my PC go into sleep mode. Then it got to the point where it was booting terribly slow. Finally, my box was getting to a point where it would only find the harddrive during the boot process about 10-20% of the time. Phoned a buddy at work who used to service desktops around the site. He suggested switching the IDE ports on the motherboard. That worked initally, but then started to fail again. I then swapped the IDE cable with one from another box. The box has been flawless for about a week now....though it still has time!

FWIW,
Brian.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts