The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.tbaquatics.com/index.php...ucts_id=1052&gclid=CLa-9N7Iu70CFSho7AodABwAPg Ehiem feeder.
http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Aqua...Feeders-JBJ_Lighting-JB52015-FIFDFEAF-vi.html JBJ Autofeed feeder

Does anyone have one of these? Will it only work with a specific food type, ie flakes or pellets? I have two tanks that could use auto-feeders;
One is full of very tiny fish and needs to have a bit of tiny food twice a day, maybe three times. There's gonna be about 50 various microfish and 5-7 very small rainbowfish, not sure yet how much they'll need to be fed. It's going to have to dispense very small amounts for a little while, as the tank isn't fully stocked.
The other tank is a 65g that's going to contain a bunch of tetras, pencilfish, and 5-6 checkerboard chichlids. It also should be fed twice a day, if possible, but it's gonna need a lot more food than the other.
Do you think either of these will work? Both, maybe, one kind for each tank? Any suggestions are welcome, but those $60+ feeders are a bit much...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have the ehiem. It has settings that u can set 4 different feeding through 24 hours. of those feedings it can feed up to 4 times on each set time. It also as a slide bar that narrows or widens the mouth of feeder. IT IS AWESOMENESS! It will not over feed. It is well worth the money. I've dropped it, got it wet, and has been running on the same batteries since I got it 8 months ago. It also this a battery life display. I have mine set so narrow even a pellet won't slip through and just flakes. I have a mix of flakes and dried blood worms. I'll shut my mouth now.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, good... How do you measure how much food it feeds at once? Just widen/narrow the little door until it releases the right amount?
Also, how much space does one of these need to be able to get food down into the tank? Could someone maybe post a picture of theirs on the tank so I can see how much space it needs?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have two of the Eheim, reliable but only use them when I go away for long periods of time.

Alright, good... How do you measure how much food it feeds at once? Just widen/narrow the little door until it releases the right amount?
Yup, it's simple. Takes a little tinkering and letting it spin around a few times to see how much food actually comes out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
3 1/4 inches space work great between light I have it sitting on and the top of my hood
I took the tank side clip off and just set it over my shop light. But it fits just perfect in 3 1\4 inches without touching anything. Also suggest three 3×1 inch opening for food opening

Attachments

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm... Might be an issue, because I'm making my own dry food to avoid wheat, and I doubt it's gonna be a very uniform size. Then again, it's not like fish have to eat the exact same amount of food every time....

·
Registered
492 Posts
The big question is how long will you be away? If it is no more than 2 weeks then save your money they fish don't need a feeder. I had one like the JBJ and the food either plugged it because of humidity or it dumped too much in. There are similar complaints with the Eheim, especially related to its door coming progressively more open. The vacation time release foods have an even worse reputation for foaling tanks.
The more reading I did the more I was convinced that no feeder is the route to go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The big question is how long will you be away? If it is no more than 2 weeks then save your money they fish don't need a feeder. I had one like the JBJ and the food either plugged it because of humidity or it dumped too much in. There are similar complaints with the Eheim, especially related to its door coming progressively more open. The vacation time release foods have an even worse reputation for foaling tanks.
The more reading I did the more I was convinced that no feeder is the route to go.
what do you do just overfeed for the few days leading up to travel then one big feeding when you leave?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's actually not for vacations, not really. I more just want to get the fish on a feeding schedule, plus I'm a little forgetful sometimes and I know that isn't best for tiny fast-moving fish.
That means that I can check on the feeder to make sure it isn't being weird or anything, which should be good.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
It's actually not for vacations, not really. I more just want to get the fish on a feeding schedule, plus I'm a little forgetful sometimes and I know that isn't best for tiny fast-moving fish.
That means that I can check on the feeder to make sure it isn't being weird or anything, which should be good.
That's what I do with larger fish. I have 3 eheims going daily, because my fish are voracious eaters, and I feed them manually once a day too. The amount coming out of the feeders is minimal. You can also press the feed once button on top of the eheim and it gives you a demonstration of its functionality. This can tell you if it's blocked or working properly, feeding too much etc, and you can adjust it. For baby fish which need numerious feedings a day, this is ideal.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Your small fish will find more than enough to eat in a planted tank for at least a day or two until you remember to feed them. Those auto feeders are very difficult to get to work properly especially if you are not feeding a lot. They work better when the door/chute is set larger than smaller.

For vacations you can overfeed a bit before leaving but not so much as to upset the tank's chemistry. Don't give a massive last feed either as most of it will just rot.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have the Eheim. It is not a very good feeder, since it provides no reliable way to dose small amounts of food. (Not sure if this is the case with all self-dosing rotary devices.) Technically, Eheim can dose flakes as well as pellets (as it says in the manual). The amount of food it will dump per each feeding is regulated by a sliding hatch in the rotating filter body - the wider you open the hatch, the more food it will dispense.

However, in case of sinking ball-shaped pellets (about 3mm in diameter), I have to open it wide enough for a pellet to fit through (i.e. 3mm or more). Such opening causes the feeder to dump massive amount of pellets into the tank each time. It is catastrophically too much for my 36 gallon tank, probably 4 or 5 times more than necessary. This would immediately destroy the water quality. In other words, it is unusable with pellets in my case.

With flakes in order to achieve acceptable dosing I have to carefully break up the flakes into small particles (less than 1mm in size) and then leave a very narrow opening on the feeder. That way I can achieve proper dosing. Any other way, I get massive overfeeding with flakes as well. In other words, it is usable with flakes (or any other small-particle food), but you have to know what you are doing. Do a number of test runs to determine a proper hatch opening width for your tank size/population.

Anyway, any automatic feeder that allows you to pre-mix and pre-measure food for each day is much better than this Eheim. Only if you have a much larger, well populated tank (i.e. a tank for which large doses of food are appropriate) this Eheim becomes an acceptable performer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.