The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 135 gallon is over run with Endlers and I need them gone with out destroying my tank, or messing with my discus. Any ideas on a fish, maybe two that I could introduce to the tank to eradicate the endler population without destroying everything I have worked so hard to create?

Thanks gang.

~Todd

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
My endlers learned very quickly that I bring them food. A swipe of the net at the surface while feeding would probably get a lot of them out.

I'm surprised that your discus are not hunting down and eating the endler fry.

·
Registered
419 Posts
sell them? trade them? buy angelfish?
I borrowed an angelfish to put in my 10 gallon to eat my guppy fry. Surprisingly it didn't even put a dent in the population. No one would take them and there's no LFS nearby so I took out my males and all of the fry and snuck them into the plant tank in petsmart.

:icon_twis

(I know, the fish probably didn't survive at petsmart, but I like to think they are alive and well right now.)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am talking literally hundreds of them, maybe closer to one thousand. Much to my surprise as well, the discus do not even notice they are there. I like the idea of introducing a large angel. Might have to look into this option. Would you suggest two large males, or two large females? I do NOT want them attempting to spawn.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Very difficult to sex angelfish and doubt that two specimens would be able to put much of a dent in the Endler population.

Near impossible to sex Angelfish unless you happen to observe them during breeding activities. Doubt that two would put much of a dent in the Endler population.
As mentioned, a net would be much quicker.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Try an eel, butterfly fish, leaf fish, any cichlid mainly, a pike fish, arowana, obviously make sure they are fine with the tank mates, or just take a net, scoop out a bunch and freeze them as frozen food for later times to be used.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
A pair of HUNgry angel fish will take care of the over population issue. They won't get the breeding females though. A fish trap (borrow or rent from your LFS) would work well. The LFS would probably trade you the use of the trap for the Endlers you catch. They can always sell them as feeders.

As to a trap, any decent size LFS with a salt water clientele should have one.

·
Banned
4,255 Posts
Try an eel, butterfly fish, leaf fish, any cichlid mainly, a pike fish, arowana, obviously make sure they are fine with the tank mates, or just take a net, scoop out a bunch and freeze them as frozen food for later times to be used.
you might be on to something, i saw a pic with a discus and a baby arowana being together, buy a baby and it might work

·
Registered
57 Posts
mid-sized killifish will take down fry and young fish.

Something like epiplatys or Aplocheilus (panchax) will do the job

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a butterfly fish and he was pretty peacefull unless something was small and in his part of the tank. I can't see one harassing bigger fish.

A channel cat or a bullhead would fix u up or a pictis. I can't believe the discus don't eat some? Maybe just cut back on food and see what happens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
While stressful for your Discus, the best thing might be to set up a temporary tank for them and remove them. In all honesty that will be less stressful for them than having them in a tank with a fish that would be able to put a dent in that population.

As for a fish to use (if the Discus are out) I'm sure someone in your aquarium society keeps guapote cichlids. These fish include Jaguar cichlids, Dovii, Jack Dempsey, etc. I find these to be the most interested in live prey. A large specimen (6" or so) would not mind being transported and acclimatized to your tank. A 6" Jaguar would probably not mind eating 30-40 adult indiviudals per night.

Don't feed the cichlid and he'll fix your problem in a few weeks, and have a great time doing so.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Most of the fish recommended here to eat the fry wouldn't be appropriate for a discus tank. You could try some dwarf cichlids like Rams or Apistos that can handle the same temperatures as discus, but if that doesn't work I agree that removing the fry is the best option.

Otherwise you're going to end up with fish that bully the discus, or vice versa, or fish that suffer from the heat, etc.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
how about a baby (2" ) peacock bass.. they aren't aggressive like an oscar would be... but they can eat. plus i know they can handle the heat and lower PH

·
Registered
293 Posts
how about a baby (2" ) peacock bass.. they aren't aggressive like an oscar would be... but they can eat. plus i know they can handle the heat and lower PH
Agreed. I've used baby peacocks with discus before.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The problem is, most of those aggressive predatory cichlids will also destroy plants, dig up the substrate, and grow very large. If you buy one as a baby, use it for a week or so, and then put the discus back in (you'd have to remove them while putting your 'exterminator' in the tank!) then you have this fish you have to decide what to do with--if you are not going to keep it in another tank, you must have an ethical way of dealing with it...some people would be ok with just buying it and then killing it when you're done, but I wouldn't want to see that happen to a perfectly good fish. You need to have somewhere lined up for it to go. And a baby arowana? You realize they get several feet long, right? That's going to need a huge tank eventually!

I'd see if an LFS would take them from you for free to sell as feeders. Or maybe post them on craigslist and see if anyone local wants them?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts