The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
i agree with those that suggest no one product is going to do it.

I found the cheapest and best way is to get dry ferts from aquarium fertilizers.com and dose them according to Tom Barr's EI Light for those less techy folk you can get all the dry ferts you need for this method at aquariumfertilizers.com a pound of each type will run you about 30 bucks total and with a 10 gallon tank should last well over a year.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
RootMedic(my product) comes in 2 bottles(the only fertilizer that comes supplied this way). Micro in one, macro in the other. The concentration will beat that of Seachem all day, every day.

Combining them with RootCaps from RootMedic(RootMedic Complete, Complete+, Iron Complete, etc) makes a full coverage option.

Pfertz comes in 4 bottles(another sponsor here). Similar nutrient content. They also make a root tab that would do you well too.

Aquariumfertlizer.com offers a package of dry ferts that can cover all your bases.

I wouldn't use PMDD. It just leaves you with wrong proportions and no phoshpate.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
RootMedic(my product) comes in 2 bottles(the only fertilizer that comes supplied this way). Micro in one, macro in the other. The concentration will beat that of Seachem all day, every day.

Combining them with RootCaps from RootMedic(RootMedic Complete, Complete+, Iron Complete, etc) makes a full coverage option.

Pfertz comes in 4 bottles(another sponsor here). Similar nutrient content. They also make a root tab that would do you well too.

Aquariumfertlizer.com offers a package of dry ferts that can cover all your bases.

I wouldn't use PMDD. It just leaves you with wrong proportions and no phoshpate.
If I'm not mistaken rootmedic's two bottles are less expensive than Seachems line as well.

I highly considered rootmedic. I narrowed it down to rootmedic and dry fert EI dosing when making my choice. I chose dry ferts and EI b/c with dosing two tanks (29 and 40) i could save a little more money the trade off being loss some convenience.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
RootMedic is an excellent choice if you are wanting a great product. You certainly (IMO) dont need to start messing with dry ferts. But For your situation I would consider only dosing mIcro nutrients. If you are doing WC's with tap water you are more than likely replenishing all of the mAcro nutrients (NPK) you will need with each change. Adding extra mAcro nutrients wont hurt anything and when it comes to ferts its ALWAYS better to have more then enough but your tank looks pretty low tech. If you were to ass pressurized co2 and a brighter light then I would suggest the whole deal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.