The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble with my nano Iwagumi setup, note that this is my first high-tech planted tank and I really did not plan nor did research about the carpet(hc cuba) that i planted. I was surprised how fast the carpet is growing and my problem is that the hardscape is getting devoured by the hc-cuba very quick, the tank needed trimming every week and its getting tiresome. I would like to ask if i could just replace the hardscape with a bigger and taller one so that i wont have to trim the plants frequently or should I re-scape and start from zero? Would replacing the rocks affect the growth of the plants? If replacing the rock would work, can I just place it directly above the carpet?

Specs :
30cmx17cmx20cm
Chihiros a series light (70% brightness)
Co2 reactor with solenoid
Aquario neo soil
Aquario neo tiny diffuser
8hr photo period per day

Green Pet supply Fish supply Rectangle Aquatic plant

Vertebrate Plant Green Water Rectangle

Water Rectangle Fluid Grass Plant
Rectangle Liquid Fluid Grass Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you can do is gently pick up each rock and put a flat rock underneath them to give extra height. If your replacing the rock it shouldn't be that difficult to just cut away the HC were the rocks are going.

In general HC will float up off the substrate when it gets to thick, so you have to keep it trimmed or replace.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Give that bush a wack! Carpets need good trimmings, I'd say go halfway down if you can, make sure you have a good sharp pair of scissors. This will promote healthy roots as well as propagation!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give that bush a wack! Carpets need good trimmings, I'd say go halfway down if you can, make sure you have a good sharp pair of scissors. This will promote healthy roots as well as propagation!
Its quite difficult too trim with regular aquascaping scissors since space is very tight, will try to find small ones and give it a proper cut . Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its quite difficult too trim with regular aquascaping scissors since space is very tight, will try to find small ones and give it a proper cut . Thanks!
I got a cheap $20 aquascaping kit on Amazon years ago, it came with straight scissors as well as curved tip scissors, along with other things. If I had a link I'd PM you but I'm sure you'd be able to find it! It's a 5 piece kit in a vinyl zipper case...

·
Registered
12 Posts
You need stones that are 3x the size of the ones you used. This is probably the most common mistake with Iwagumi scapes when people are learning. They need a serious amount of stone.

Lifting them will not remedy this issue.

Cut out some of the HC where the new stones will go and if some is covered you can either pull it out or let it die, either way, will be fine.

Nice HC growth!

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts