The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my first time hear ..so please bear with me .. I have a 55gal semi-planted tank .. in Main living room.. (show comunity tank)..Doing fairly good .. My problem is I have a HOB Filter .. I want something better ..I am leaning towards a canister with a built in UV Sterilizer..I want a good one ..Not an after market ..All and any advise would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
... ..I am leaning towards a canister with a built in UV Sterilizer.. ...
While it's nice that everything is in one unit, I recommend that you go for a canister filter with a separate UV Sterilizer. This gives you much better long term options, in that you can replace one, without having to replace the other.

In addition, UV units have glass parts, which you can break. You don't want the whole filter down while your working on getting replacement parts.

Since you have a fairly large tank, you'll not have any problems installing both units in the stand.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm just curious as to why you want a uv sterilizer. Honestly you don't need one. You would be better off investing in a top of the line canister filter. I recommend an eheim or fluval brand canister. If you want a uv sterilizer just in case that's cool its good to be prepared but I would save my money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.. i will take evrything in and probably go with the seperate canister and seperate uv.. The reason for the uv .. I am stsrting to get an algea buildup on some plants and glass .. it is controlable now..but i don't want it to get out of hand ..
Thanks Again

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i will insert this here. algae cannot be controlled wit ha uv sterilizer. green water, cloudy water. yes. algae on glass and plants not at all. i turn mine on when cleaning my tank weekly for what i stir up and scrape off, be it algae or some other organism. it gets turned off by the next day.

algae is controlled by balance of light c02 and fertilizer :) WELCOME to TPT!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm just curious as to why you want a uv sterilizer. Honestly you don't need one. You would be better off investing in a top of the line canister filter. I recommend an eheim or fluval brand canister. If you want a uv sterilizer just in case that's cool its good to be prepared but I would save my money.

I agree, a UV Sterilizer is just a BANDAID.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.